A surprising consequence of the Windows 10 upgrade

teknoid

A couple of weeks ago my old Samsung BD player bit the dust. In addition to the occasional BD movie it's primary function was to feed the living room TV with NetFlix.

No worries. I dusted off a retired Asus desktop PC that had a HDMI port and put it in to duty feeding NetFlix to the LR TV. The catch was it struggled to supply the TV with a steady signal over HDMI. The audio never wavered but there were frequent video stutters or the video would lag behind the audio. I figured an upgraded video card was probably the solution but hadn't gotten around to buying one. The plan was to save my pennies for a couple of months and get another NetFlix enabled BD player NOT upgrade the PC.

Saturday morning the PC presented me with the "Upgrade to Windows 10 now" message. I figured WTF what do I have to lose? Worst case I roll it back to Win7. The whole upgrade process took less than an hour with multiple restarts as expected.

The upshot of all of it is that now NetFlix runs completely smoothly under Windows 10 with no lags or stutters. Go figure?

Is Windows 10 THAT much more code efficient that things just run better?

Actually I have had some benefits too.

With my XDA-2, I used to have to frequently reboot it or disconnect /reconnect the USB for it to work on every reboot. Now it just works.

With my Fusion 8100, the Netflix application would never load the video or audio if DD5.1 was in use. It acted like it was always buffering. Now it works seamlessly. I have also had fewer YouTube issues with audio since the update.