Klipschorn Info

desofb

I'm looking at that K-5. Is it painted?

As upgrades done by the factory, I've not heard about that. E.g. that someone would somehow get their K-Horns to Hope that the factory would install new components. Therefore I'd be very surprised if there is any record at Hope of the many changes.

I've also not heard of a dealer doing upgrades but it is not beyond the possible. There is a Dope from Hope about upgrades. Someone here will post it.

As pointed out by others, it seems that your "old" units have been upgraded in a systematic and expert way with new drivers and crossovers as they became available.

So, I think you have something very special and wonderful.

WMcD

FWIW here is the Dope From Hope on updating the K-Horn. There is no mention that the factory will do the installation for you and no mention that a dealer will do it either. My take on it is that the material can be ordered by an owner. Maybe a dealer would do the work but there is no mention that as a Klipsch dealer he is obligated to do so, even if the cost of labor can be negotiated.

As far as I know, this DfH is the only mention to the public of the issue.

WMcD

Dope from Hope Papers 32-33.pdf

• 3 months later...

The serial numbers for every Klipschorn built before the advent of computers were kept in ledger books in the Engineering Department and I know that those books still existed in 1989. A quick and courteous phone call might entice someone to look it up for you. They would be able to give you the exact date it was built or shipped out (I can't remember which they tracked).