Someone please educate me on the Jubilee

Grizzog

So...first off, I am no expert - not even close, so go easy on me.

I have been reading on the Jubilee but I'm so confused on where the "real" one left off.

PWK intended the Jubilee to be a 2-way system. 

There's this one: http://www.klipsch.com/KPT-Jubilee-535-B

but that is a 3 way design. 

However, I've seen plenty of setups that use the bass bin and the KPT-402 (I think) only, making it a two way.  It seems PWK and Roy made some prototypes but I don't see where that actually ended.

I've also read that the crossover is the key to this design.  Is it the KPT-KHJ bin with the KPT-402 with a different driver and a specific crossover that is the actual Jubilee?  Was there ever a "finished" two way, or did this pass on with PWK?

• Like 1

The KPT-Jubilee-535 is a 3-way loudspeaker (behind the screen) for the professional cinema marketplace.  The 2-way "home Jubilee" is the one that Roy Delgado got permission to market by word of mouth, in honor of PWK's legacy as the upgrade to the Klipschorn.  While the K-402 is a more recent development that replaced the older methodology K-403 collapsing polars horn that you might see in the PWK pictures before his passing, the K-402 is the "secret sauce" for this loudspeaker. 

An additional real secret of the Jubilee, besides the K-402 horn, is the driver on the K-402.  The stock driver, a K-69-A is a fairly good driver, but one can do much better.  Roy has supported the testing of better HF compression drivers in the anechoic chamber in Hope, and there is at least the settings for TAD TD-4002s out in public display.  There are also settings for other drivers that owners have used on the K-402 horns.  Some members have added the HF horn (K-510) on top with a 2" compression driver increases the listening experience, but that isn't something that Roy D. has pushed.  If anything, I personally find the two-way Jubilee with TAD drivers to be unsurpassed as a loudspeaker - if you've got two good corners of a room to put them into. 

While there are passive crossover designs for the 2-way (home-version) Jubilee, the best ones cost a few thousand dollars ($3K+, to be exact) to correct all the FR variations, so the best economic and sonic solution (IMO) is to use active digital crossovers of good quality to bi-amp these loudspeakers.  I've personally found that 24/96 processors sound better than the more typical 24/48 processors found in the marketplace.  I don't recommend the low-cost Behringer DCX2496 crossover,  however.

If you're thinking about DIY bass bins, then you'll have to use another pair of woofers than K-31s, since those are now very difficult to find.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

Thank you Chris. It looks like you've got quite the amazing setup.  So is the two way you described THE Jubilee that PWK intended?

The design looks amazing.  I have Altec 19s in my main listening area, and for my money, the two way seems like the way to go. I do love the look of the three way though, which is why I have a couple 3 way Klipsch :).

I don't have a room that could support something such as a Jubilee, but I would love to hear them some day.  I have actually yet to hear a fully horn loaded system...

As a lot of (or most of) us on this forum, I have a fascination with Klipsch due to the impact on audio reproduction he had and the designs put in place.  Horns just sound more real to my ears...

So is the two way you described THE Jubilee that PWK intended?

With the substitution of the K-402 for the K-403, the answer is yes.  PWK probably would have used passive crossovers, but I believe that the technology has moved on since then.  Roy Delgado (his apprentice in that design and the current Klipsch Professional chief engineer) shifted to using active digital crossovers for the home version; active crossovers have now taken over as the typical installation configuration for commercial movie theaters. 

"PrestonTom" is the handle of the guy that lives in your state that owns a DIY pair (with Klipsch K-402s on top).  Perhaps you can strike up a conversation with him.

Horns just sound more real to my ears.

Yes - you're right.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

"PrestonTom" is the handle of the guy that lives in your state that owns a DIY pair (with Klipsch K-402s on top). Perhaps you can strike up a conversation with him.

I may have to do that. ...but if they ruin the sound of my 19s I may not want to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk