Matching A/V receiver for RF-7s

sdrucker

Hi there,

I'm upgrading our old Klipsch KG setup to a Klipsch Reference home theater system:

RF-7 fronts

RC3-II center

RB-3 as surrounds with 24-inch stands

The level of detail on several test CDs and DVDs is what sold us, plus I wanted to keep things consistent with my KSW-10 subwoofer. I know a more powerful subwoofer might be more appropriate, but we live in a high-rise.

I'm wondering whether I can get by with my Sony STR-DE1075 receiver (100 X 6 at 8 ohms) until either a) I found out whether the new DA4ES can handle 192 khz sampling on the six channels, B) Denon comes up with a version of the 4803 that can do the same thing, or c) we move into a mansion and I can afford the 5803.

Actually, I'd love to buy the 5803 if it dropped about $2000, but would be too much power for our listening room anyway, 24 X 17 in a hi-rise condo. Am I clinically insane to try these awesome speakers with a non-Sony ES (as in a high probability of clipping without having neighbors come after us with automatic weapons)?

We can live w/o concert-level volume in the short term.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Stuart Drucker

Hi Stuart,

Welcome the the world of insanity. I too lived in a Hirise for a few years in Toronto, before I moved outside the city (thank god), and I had La Scalas, with some measely sub, and the neighbour from six floors down used to complain. Sounds like you you have some pretty good stuff and are in the same boat. I wouldn't try to build anything too massive yet, just ask questions on this forum, to see where you want to go with your system in the future. You will get some very good advice.

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ samson 1000 watt amp

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

Am curious as to why the RC-3 rather than the suggested RC-7 as the center... Have you heard them together and a/b compared them?

Doug

We're using the RC-3 for a very practical reason: the RC-7 doesn't fit into our entertainment cabinet. Unless we mount the center speaker on the ceiling, we don't have enough room over the projection set (A 43" Sony) for it. We miss by about 2/3 of an inch. It's cheaper to go with the RC-3 than to rebuild our custom-made cabinet.