We Were Soldiers / Pulp Fiction

RangerSix

Just saw We Were Soldiers and Pulp Fiction: Collector's Edition this evening on DVD. Outstanding presentations in both video and audio quality. The new version of Pulp Fiction is leaps and bounds much better than its previous non-anomorphic predecessor. It also has DTS sound.

We Were Soldiers does not have DTS, but is in DD Surround EX. Very impressive. This movie will definitely give your sub(s) an excellent workout. If you have children, a tempermental wife and/or girlfriend hee hee or neighbors in the immediate vicinity then I recommend having the volume control close by. Otherwise, put on the flak vest, low crawl to the couch and hunker down for the inevitable sonic barrage.

------------------

Ranger

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)

ProntoPro TSU6000

I couldn't agree more RangerSix. We were Soldiers has an excellent picture and incredible sound. After about 40 minutes of getting to know everyone in the story, all hell breaks loose and the audio portion of the disk really gives your audio system a serious workout. There is bass here to rival portions of LotR's. My wife watched it as she is a huge Mel Gibson fan and she liked the story but of course, didn't like the graphic violence. Some scenes here are as graphic as the first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan. I highly recommend this disk if you are a war picture fan or a Mel Gibson fan. I thought this picture was done much better than Black Hawk Down. Better story, better treatment of the enemy's charactures, better acting, etc. Even if you just rent We were Soldiers, I recommend you do so and enjoy a masterful piece of story telling.

Take care

Rick

------------------

Mains RF-7

Centre RC-7

Surrounds RS-7

Rear Centre 2 x RS-7

Sub SVS-CS Ultra x 2

Receiver Denon AVR-5803

DVD Denon 2800

T.V. Sony KP57HW40 Widescreen

Computer Pro-Media 5.1

"A Tab is a Tab, but the scroll is a way of life."

Enjoyed We Were Soldiers, but Blackhawk Down and Saving Private Ryan really hit home.

RP

------------------

Computer

Klipsch Pro Media 4.1

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

This message has been edited by PYRO on 08-21-2002 at 09:46 AM

quote:

"A Tab is a Tab, but the scroll is a way of life."

Bold statement.cwm1.gif You sound like a former 75th Ranger. I went through that infernal course with a broken toe and a sprained ankle (jumping into Desert Phase) getting that tab.

I agree with your assessment on the three war movies. I have a strong bias towards Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers because of my association with many of the actual participants in both battles, but Saving Private Ryan is still king regarding bringing the viewer emotionally into the action.

However regarding DVD transfer ...

Video: SPR, BHD, WWS

Audio: WWS, SPR, BHD (all were excellent)

------------------

Ranger

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)