KLF-C7 as mains?!?!

t-man

Has anybody tried using a pair of C7s for front main speakers. Seems like it would work OK, but are there any drawbacks to this set-up? For those with limited space, 3 C7s up front and 2 in the rear would seem rather ideal. I'm just not sure if the crossover is suitable for front main use.

Any thoughts?

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Crest LA601 sub amp

Denon AVR 681/1601

not sure if the dispersion pattern on the C7 horn is alligned the same as the non-center klipsch speaks. know the c7 horn is turned to yield a verticle over horizontal dispersion. would think the klipsch non-center horns are more for horizontal. if anything could just stand the c7 verticle, but maybe somebody w/ more knowledge could address this.

as for the freq range, w/ a fixed 80hz or so crossover in the dsp, the C7 are fine for a thx style set-up w/ a sub. they actually put out pretty well down to 50hz on my tests. w/ an 80hz cross they're more than sufficient.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa,

Yes, exactly. Turn the C7 up vertical, and then the horns would lay horizontal like other Klipsch mains.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KLF-C7 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

SVS 20-39CS+ (sub)

Aura Bass Shakers (pair)

Crest LA601 sub amp

Denon AVR 681/1601

Boa, T-Man is correct in the KLF-C7 dispersion pattern as can be seen in the sig photo at the bottom of this reply.

If one were looking for a "small room" Legend system, picking up a half-dozen KLF-C7's and an adequate subwoofer would a step in the right direction. In fact my C7 experiments suggest mounting the front center, rear center and side/surround C7's horizontally... and mounting the mains vertically.

I have also found that C7's and Academy's make great utility speakers for extended listening areas. They put out a lot of sound for being non-ported and relatively compact... as compared to K-Horns and such. Remember, when the RC-7's first appeared, BobG suggested that a great system could be had by using all RC-7's! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg

Funny you should mention that, Boa... I was speculating the same thing when I proofed the above post. The KLF-C7 is somewhat unusual in its vertically oriented horn... but it sure makes a lot of sense.

But, unfortunately, the motorboard of a KLF-30 is not wide enough to accommodate the mid-range horn to be vertically mounted and horn-tweeter to be horizontally mounted... but could be mounted vertically along side each other between the woofers.

Frankly, I have been so happy with the horizontalized KLF-30 that I did not think of ways to improve it... but this may be a way to improve expand the screen anchoring of the right and left mains by narrowing the "sound wedge" of the center channel mid-range horn.

It has also occurred to me that the difference between the horn angle's horizontal and vertical sweep may affect only an area beyond the sweet spot. But, it certainly remains something to explore further. Thanks for you alert response. -HornED