Questions about the RF-3 IIs

cdsang

Ok, I have bi-wired my front three speakers. From what I read this is a good idea. A few questions I have are, is the speaker only 8 ohmes when single wired, and 4 or 16 ohmes each when bi-wired. Also say for example, you use 100 watts for the tweeter and 100 for woofers, is that 200 watts being sent? Also somehow I don't think the RF-3IIs don't hanlde 150 watts, probly 75 when played hard. I have 80 watts/channel useing A. And probly B as well and I have the volume about 1/3 up and its reaching its peak clean excusion. Thank you for your answers in advance.

Well I realize that sence the speaker is rated down to 37hz, anything lower should lower its power handling. But what if I was just going like 10 Hz lower? Would that only be a small or large amount of the power hanlding that would be reduced? But of course, the tweeters would have no problem running over 120 watts. So what if I set the RF-3s to small(12 dB/octave cut at 90 Hz), that should make it handle 150 watts right? But sence my sub isn't all that great, my RF-3s are my "subs" until I get something better. And I bet some of you think, who in the beep would max out such a speaker. Well only the woofers, not the tweeters. And as I said before, sometimes I like it loud. But its only for like a min or 2. Well thank you for your answers from the past and future.

cdsang : i don't know how you are using up all the ( clean excursion ) of the rf3II's woofers, unless you are trying to send a very large amplitude, low frequency signal to them, which would be below the tuning frequency of the enclosures. Below the tuning frequency, excursion goes through the roof. In my situation, I have not ever come close to the maximum excursion of the woofers, but play with your reciever when you get your sub. You should be able to limit the low freqencies to the mains, while the sub channel will take over, reducing the stress on your rf3's. With my little marantz sr4200, I have achieved ear-bleeding levels with ease, and there is very little excursion from the woofers/midbasses. If you don't have a sub, just try to keep the levels in check. Remember, for the same volume level, excursion doubles as the frequency halves. Eg. 105 db @100 hz = 1/4", 105 db @ 50 hz = 1/2" , 105 db @ 25 hz = 1" , so you can see that the material you play can really affect the excursion of the drivers. Watch the levels, and enjoy !