Dissapointment. In-store demos of PMs and Z-560s

CudaMan

I went to Best Buy and CompUSA today to listen to the ProMedias and Logitech Z-560s. At Best Buy only the 2.1s were hooked up. I wanted to try the 5.1s but no dice. There were no 4.1s there. 2.1s sounded good at best buy.

Over to CompUSA. All their speakers were actually hooked up (imagine that). Tried the 4.1s... major, almost painful static when adjusting the Surround knob. Less significant (but still noticeable) static with the volume knob. Bass knob was good. I liked the sound, but that static really turns me off.

Tried the Z-560s then. I liked their control tower but their sound was disappointing. Even at the lowest setting, the sub was overpowering and not as 'musical' as the Klipsch. The Logis did the high frequencies pretty well but it sounded like there were some holes somewhere in the midrange. I wasn't very impressed.

I tried the 2.1s there too, and got the same awful static.

In addition, both Klipsch boxes at CompUSA were pretty bashed up. cwm10.gif

I do want the great sound of the Klipschs but I really want to avoid the static! Is there any kind of preventative measures I can take to ensure this doesn't happen to me? Is it just cheap potentiometers in the control pod or what? I'd think after all this time the Klipsch community (if not Klipsch themselves) would have figured out an easy fix for the static.

think of how many people mess with the knobs and how many times they have been abused. i had friends that worked at best buy and compusa (till just recently, audit got everyone fired, everyone). they told horrow stories of what happened to a lot of the display products they had, especially the 560's and the ProMedias.

also, unless you live in a ware house with a 150 foot by 100 foot or great bedroom with 20 foot ceilings and product racks all around you, the sound you get in the store will be nothing like what you will get at home.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Yeah I thought about that, but I figured listening to the speakers side by side would still give me an idea of how they compared directly.

I know the store demo speakers are probably old and used all the time, but two out of three ProMedia sets I tried had the static, and the Logitechs didn't. I have $10 speakers and really old stereos that have never done this. I'm just so surprised an excellent set of speakers like the ProMedias commonly have this problem.

I'd still like to know if there's something I can do to prevent the static from happening or to repair it once it starts.

I think BestBuy has an extended warranty thing... I think I'll ask about that next week.

Best Buy has an excellent extended warranty plan, get it just for the insurance.

to protect the potentiometers... don't screw around with them, turning the back and forth really fast all the time, just set it and leave it. i still don't have static in my v2.400's or my 4.1's which are quite old now. actually surprised i don't have it in the v2.400 since i never did the pre amp upgrade.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Well it looks like my purchase is going to be delayed again... car got broken into last night, my deductible is the same cost as a set of 4.1s. I really wanted to get the 4.1s at BestBuy while they had that $50 rebate this month too...

I'll be back sometime... don't know when.