crossover design question

Paducah Home Theater

Putting this in the off-topic area since it isn't Klipsch related.

Picked up some Dayton AMT-pro's and some Acoustic Elegance TD12H's to fool around with, trying to make a home brew two-way system for fun. Problem is, there's no crossover recommendations, just lots of seemingly unfounded opinions in regards to that tweeter.

1. The spec sheet and product marketing says its good to 800 hz, and the design it copied did this with an 18 db/octave slope.

2. I wanted 800 because of this, seemed perfectly legit to me.

3. On the product page, a Dayton employee says no less than 2,000 hz.

4. On that same page, a guy who owned them acted like 1,200 is ok but 1,500 is better.

5. John at AE says 1,200 to keep the load off the tweeter since a 12 doesn't start beaming until above that and his woofers are clean to even higher than that.

6. A Parts Express tech says it won't work at all, that it needs to be a 3-way design, that 1,200 hz with a 12 is pretty stupid, 30 degrees off-axis will sound like hell due to it already beaming too much, which I'm not sure is true. He recommends a 3-way with the tweeter at a preferred minimum of 1,500 hz and absolute minimum of 800, and at least a 24 db preferably 48 db per octave crossover.

The lack of a consensus is pretty silly at this point. John is about the only one I trust at this point, and he doesn't even make the tweeters.

Without shipping the drivers off to somebody who knows what they're doing for measurements, how do I come up with some numbers that at least two people would agree on? I guess I can do like everybody else and go active, and play around with it until it sounds good. Seems to be the wave of the future. :)

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters