Does ANYBODY like Boogie Woogie?

Mallette

"Swampoodle Player" by my good friend Dr. John Tennison, leading boogie woogie musicologist, composer, and performer.  Like all things Tennison, it is complex.  Starts with the best known boogie woogie broken bass line, the Swampoodle.  John's musicological work has conclusively shown that the line developed in the Swampoodle red light district of Texarkana.  As it develops, you'll hear "Maple Leaf Rag" by Scott Joplin, and finally some Conlon Nancarrow as well.  For those who never heard of Nancarrow, run him on YouTube and Wikipedia.  Actually, John Tennison also has a great piece on YouTube where he shows the connection between Nancarrow and the boogie woogie he heard in Texarkana as he grew up.  In the past 20 years, Nancarrow's fame has grown to where he is now considered one of the greatest composers of the 20th century...and his respect is still growing.

John is on my advisory group for the Regional Music Heritage Center I am developing and he composed this piece at my request for theme music for the radio program "Swampoodle Review" that will debut sometime in February.  I'll post a link to streaming when it is firmed up. 

Dave

Spent the evening listening to John's recordings of Cook Engine 316, the only one of it's kind.  It's a T&P locomotive of the type John has proven to my satisfaction made the sound that created boogie woogie.  I'll be working on this for the next few days to create the opening for the radio program mentioned above which will be combine with John's piece and voice over.  That tentative intro will be heard here first, and I hope to have comments.  Steam engines are music to my ears!

Dave

Edited by Mallette