thought it was a cd player at first....

prodj101

I was a the local hifi sound store the other day, just lookin around, and Heard the best tuner of my life. it was a Magnum Dynalab tunever ($8500), hooked up to a pair of mono block tube amps that were 450 watts in 8 ohms, which were power B&W speakers. Can't remember the model, but they were waround 12 thou a pair. I can't say I cared much for the speakers, but that tuner was awsome. At first I thought it was a CD player. Has anyone else had experience with MD?

------------------

-the forum prowler

Magnum Dynalab has been making tuners for a long while although I didnt know they were making any units in the $8000 range (your dealer sounds like he was markup happy). The old FT101a and the FT-11 were pretty nice and always well thought of in the press. The ETUDE was an upmarket 101 with more refinements. It was capable of good sound and very smooth. There were others in that price range that were with it as well but Magnum Dynalab always got good press and distribution in the HIFI shops. They have a host of new models I believe as well as receivers that are none too cheap, either. A used FT101a is not that bad a find if in working order.

Remember, however, that if you were listening to that whole system with the tuner, the sound of the other components came into play. That being said, the MD tuners could achieve some pretty good sonics rivaling any good source.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>