New sub install help

Josh810

Set everything to small and 80hz xover. -18 is a decent volume where as -28 should not be really loud. I think your 1st calibration was way off. I would start again, subs at 3/4 volume and direct. Level match subs with db meter and check phase levels/matching. Once you are happy that the subs are matched then re-do calibration. Then change all speakers to small and xover at 80hz. Then if necessary bump sub trim on receiver up 3db.

• Like 1

The upgraded subs were just the first part of my HT upgrade do you guys have any suggestions on the rest of my speakers? I was thinking the rp-250s for surrounds and rp-160m for rears and have yet to decided on the fronts and center

If you want to keep al rp I would say 280f as fronts,450c as center and 4 160ms as surrounds and surround backs. Can you use your r28f as surrounds or are you selling? Or of course if you had the money rf7ii and rc64ii would be better.

Put the movie on pause changed everything to small put the sub trim up to +3 sounds great sub gain at 3/4

Is that +3 actual or +3 above what it was on? I would not want to run subs at +3, it overemphasizes the bass and could potentially bottom the subs out if playing towards reference levels.

It calibrated at -4 but I manually put the sub trim at +3 if that makes sense? There's two different menus for it. I really don't have the lay out for floor standing rears idk how I would because they would be firing into the back of my couch? I really am aiming towards the rf series I love the twin 10" drivers but if you look at my pictures I only have a 8" mantle for my center to sit on so I will have to get VERY creative to fit the 12" rc-64 ii I think it will look funky

It calibrated at -4 but I manually put the sub trim at +3 if that makes sense? There's two different menus for it. I really don't have the lay out for floor standing rears idk how I would because they would be firing into the back of my couch? I really am aiming towards the rf series I love the twin 10" drivers but if you look at my pictures I only have a 8" mantle for my center to sit on so I will have to get VERY creative to fit the 12" rc-64 ii I think it will look funky

That is a 7db increase on your subs,not taking into account jumping from halfway to 3/4 on the dials. Be careful when playing at volumes above -15 as I have blown subs before running them too hot. A 6db increase may be ok but I only ever run 3db hot. I would calibrate from the beginning to be on the safe side. As for the center it is arguably the most important speaker for ht and if you compromise on that especially if you have good mains your overall performance will suffer. I would change the entire room before I compromised any of my speakers but that is me.

Watching T2 right now at -18 everything set to large L sub 180 R sub 180 and gain set 3/4 sounds bitching but before the sub upgrade -28 was really loud why do I need to crank it up + 10 db to get the same results?

Derrick and robbie are right, and you proved it. The 180 adjustment set both subs on a difference phase to the mains. Things got louder because the speakers aren't cancelling the subs in the bass frequencies where things hit hardest. If you set all speakers to small and let the subs handle all bass from 80 Hz down (as another poster said), you should get hard hitting bass and no cancellation. You may not want the subs at 180 deg of eachother.

Once you have done the small and 80Hz crossover, try the subs both at 0, both at 180, one at 0 and other at 180, Whichever is loudest from the listening position is likely the best you will do unless you do a sub crawl which means putting the subs in better positions for sound which may not be the prettiest positions.

I think you should watch this video about subwoofer crawl that Derrick has been trying to get you to watch. It is a great vid, and it works very well.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

So would you suggest just having my gains 3/4 and recalibrate and then not to mess with anything? When I did that it reads a level error. I really want these guys to pound hard

What level error? Sub? You want the avr to set the sub trim somewhere around -5 to -10 and not -12 which in turn would be dictated by your volume control on the subs. I would set both phase to 0 and make sure the setting on the sub itself is either direct or the highest it can go ie 150hz etc. You are using the xover in the avr so you do not want the controls on the sub to override in any way. Once you are happy with just your subs then rerun the auto setup. Once that is complete then turn the sub trim on the receiver up 3db from what it was ie if it was -10 go to -7. Then see how the system performs on a movie with lots of lfe and turn it up as loud as you would ever listen to it. If you still want more bass I would increase by another 3db at most on the sub trim. Any more than this and not only will it be bass heavy but you could kill your subs. 

Mission accomplished. Lastnight was jamming to Tron and my wife just called and said the neighbors came and asked us to turn our home theater system down at night. It's shaking their whole house!! Any good suggesting for acoustic dampening? Now I want to get the 115s hahaha

Mission accomplished. Lastnight was jamming to Tron and my wife just called and said the neighbors came and asked us to turn our home theater system down at night. It's shaking their whole house!! Any good suggesting for acoustic dampening? Now I want to get the 115s hahaha

LFE travels right through walls. Unless you have unlimited space for super large bass traps, you are going to have to buy your neighbors house and turn it into a man cave.

• Like 1

Do you have any good articles on using bass traps or acoustic panels? I'm very interested in this. I have 3 couches right now and it's more of a family room setting but I'm going to do away with them and look into one home theater style couch so I can open up my room for better sound.