Tube AMP

BryanJ

That is a 222A it uses EL84/6BQ5 tubes rather that 7189's. It will produce 13 watts of real sweet sound per channel. It is a self biasing design so needs closely matched quads. Try a set of JJ Telsa in it. Scott never put the letter designation on the first in a series and really its technically a 222 there never was a 222A. WHat did you have to pay for it ? What are the brand of all the tubes included ?

Craig

I searched it out on ebay. That seller is a pretty honest guy. I know a few people that have bought amps from him. I was talking to him about a few mono blocks not long ago. You scored a good deal. I bet it will need very little. Sounds like it should be fired up on a variac because he says untested you might want to ask him if he had it fired up recently. I know this guy does his own restoring and has tons of tube amps he is trying to thin out. He told me he just doesn't have time to rebuild them all.

Craig

Craig, That makes me more confident of the purchaseSmile.gif Appreciate the information.

I was researching the site and found you had quite a few posts on the 222 and your adventures with it!!Smile.gif

Learned alot. I have a few tube radios around the house and a military surplus tube tester I got maybe 7 years ago. Don't know much on tubes or bad caps ect.

Is there a book out there for a beginner??

Got the 222 for 145.00. So I figure is worth the gamble. I would also like to try out a nice Eico HF-81. I saw the one ebay that is unbilt. That's going to be a high $$ auction one for sure.

Why did you part with your 222? Did it have the center mono out??

Bryan

DocJ,

I still have my 222C I have a total of 6 Scotts. Just can't bring myself to part with any of them LOL !!! Yes my 222C has a mono center out. I'm a Vinyl freak and the 299 has a more versatile and robust phono section and is why the 222C is left dormant at the moment.

Have you visited the HH Scott web page yet ? Linkage They have a nice JPG of the schematic of the 222 and theres a forum that is full of Scott info.

Craig