amp and surround processor recommendation?

kjohnsonhp

I'm wondering if I should consider seperates instead of buying a receiver--i.e. the popular Denon 3802? I've used Carver amps in the 80's (C-500 & M1.5) with Cornwalls, but I'm not sure what surround processor to use today without buying something like a $3,000+ Sunfire or Krell. I can get Carver amps but the preamp/processor may be more expensive than the receiver so do I really want these old amps?

I've seen a lot about tubes. Is this something to consider for a person who has never been exposed to tube technology? If yes, then what to buy for the latest in surround?

Maybe the short answer is to buy a receiver but I thought I'd check.

My room will accomodate the following plan:

2 Cornwalls (mains)

1 Heresy or Academy (center)

2 Heresy (rear wall upper l/r)

sub(s)

50+" diag. display or 80" wide screen

If I moved a sidewall couch I really don't use then I could put 2 more Cornwalls (or LaScalas/Belles) on the sides (of the listening chair). I can't use KHorns anywhere.

The room is 15' wide, 20' long. My computer desk is in the rear corner so I can't put more Cornwalls in the rear w/o moving my desk.

What do you primarily watch/listen to, music, movies? Most A/V processors/receivers do one or the other fairly well, unless you spend over a grand, then most do both well. Look for 6.1, which means you will have to rethink your speakers because you will have to add a center rear to the room. Believe it or not that extra speaker really makes a big difference. I prefer Yamaha, I have owned various Yamaha processors for years and have had really good luck with them. My current A/V receiver is a RX-V1, which has all of the above and front effects as well. They were originally about $3000, but you can pick one up on e-bay for around $1000 or less now. It also gives you the option to add external amps for all channels should you want to use tube amps. It all boils down to a matter of taste and how much you are willing to spend.

------------------

My System:

Mitsubishi 65908

Yamaha RX-V1

Panasonic DMRE30 DVD RAM

Pioneer CLD3080

Chorus II (Main)

Academy (Center)

Forte' II (Rear)

RCA Lineaum(Center Rear/front effects)

Yamaha M-80

RCA right/left sub

oooh oooh oooh, read mine first! get a rotel seperates system. You can get one with a 5 channel amp at 200 watts pc for 2000, than the surround processor is 1400. you can get their tuner also for about 300 I think. they make nice stuff, I used some just the other day at the local hifi shop. I strongly advise against receivers, even the cheapest seperates system will sound better! also, if you like music more and are considering going down the 2.1 road, consider the 2 channel rotel thats a insane 380 watts by 2 in 8 ohms. the links for these products are below.

the pre amp: http://www.rotel.com/products/rsp1066.htm

The amp: http://www.rotel.com/products/rmb1095.htm

besides sounding a whole lot better, they look cooler too eh?

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.