Can you use the RP-140's as rear surrounds instead of heights?

XciteMe

Simple question guys, I'd really appreciate confirmation/feedback!

Can you use the RP-140SA as rear L&R surrounds instead of using them as Dolby Atmos front heights?

In other words I just want to wall-mount the RP-140's and use them solely as the surrounds for my 5.1 setup.

Will they work well that way? Or should I just stick with a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers (probably R-15M) as surrounds? I can't use the RP-240S because they're too heavy for my keyhole wall mounts. Which would provide a more immersive surround sound experience?

Thanks.

They will work, and even have a mounting hole so you can do this, but, these things are EQ'ed a little differently. Supposedly there is a very specific but secret Dolby spec that was met in terms of directivity and frequency response in order to pull off the psychoacoustic effect where things really do seem to come from the ceiling. Pretty sure that frequencies below like 150 hz are being blocked since that was mentioned somewhere in the public specs, but there's other stuff that mere mortals apparently aren't allowed to know about. I wouldn't think that they'd be the best option if you can do something else.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

So are you basically saying if I use them as surrounds, I won't be hearing as much full-range surround sound vs using bookshelves as surrounds?

I can't use the RP-240S on my current wall mounts, they're 3 pounds heavier than the max weight limit.

I really don't know which surrounds to get!!! It's confusing. :huh:

So are you basically saying if I use them as surrounds, I won't be hearing as much full-range surround sound vs using bookshelves as surrounds?

I'd listen to Jay and just go for it, he designed the things. :)

What he said :) 

Really though, it will have as much bass as any other speaker of similar size. Trust me, I could pick any surround Klipsch makes and I use these. If they are the size you are looking for, and you like the looks I really doubt you will be disappointed. 

I could pick any surround Klipsch makes and I use these.

Did you design the Palladium surrounds? Oh my, those are silly nice sounding.
No I didn't design them, but I had an entire 7.2 Palladium at one time. Good stuff fo sho.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

• Like 1