Shootout - Radian vs. B&C matched to Eliptrac 400

jmcox00

I live relatively close to Justin Weber (Ampsandsound) in Southern California and have the occasion from time to time to visit him for equipment purchases, mods, tweak advice, etc. Always fun for me as inevitably he has prototype models of various evolutions of his gear and it becomes an opportunity for me to learn a few things, and even better, listen to some cool stuff. This weekend was no exception as after dropping off a pair of his Casablanca amps for some minor modifications he mentioned that the had been rather actively engaged recently in some refining of both 2 way and 3 way Cornscalla speakers - and asked me if I would listen to some combinations of crossovers, drivers, and attenuation settings and give him some feedback on what I thought of one setup in particular. (Okay, twist my arm). The initial focus was on attenuation settings on this particular set with respect to the mid range, and we went back and forth on that evaluation - but also the mid range on that set (it happened to be a 2 way) was particularly nice. Wonderful in fact. I commented on that and he indicated that set had the Eliptrac mid coupled with a Radian driver. I hadn't heard a Radian driver on the Eliptracs before, and asked Justin to tell me a bit more about that pairing compared to what I'm familiar with (B&C 85, B&C 750 in particular and more recently the BMS 4592). He said, hey I also have a set here where the B&C 750/Eliptrac combo is used so lets set up and do an A/B shootout between the B&C 750 and these Radians right now. (Again, twist my arm). Both drivers on the Eliptrac horns, apples to apples. It was startling for me as I have always been particularly fond of the B&C 750 used with the Eliptracs as, to my ear, they provide a lot of energy and a really punchy sound - but the Radians were absolutely on another level. A/B and A/B back and forth - I couldn't believe it. A sweet combo. About twice the price of the B&C 750's but what a performer.