speaker identification please?

staygroovybaby

I purchased these speakers a couple a months back while buying some MAC equipment. The seller told me they were removed many years ago from an old movie theater. I look everywhere online and can not find a pair like them. They are built in the shape of corner speakers, but you can place them anywhere and produce the same sound, They sound great. If you notice the round dowel coming from the back of the speaker, it is connected to the crossover to raise or lower the highs. The horn on top is Altec, the 15" woofer and the crossovers are JBL.  They sound great and I was going to refinish them and put them up for sale. But I would like to know what I have.   last but not least, I cant get the photos posted, HELP!!!!

• Like 1

It looks valuable. Tannoy, JBL and Altec had corner stuff like that.

I'd say with that horn, it was a theater version of one you could get for a home. The home version probably had a horn behind the grille.

It looks like a treasure... Just my opinion. Have pictures of the drivers?

• Like 1

As I stated in the PM, I think the JBL guts are because this is a commercial version of the 606(a). James B Lansing founded Altec Lansing and JBL.

Any opinions forum folks? Is this a commercial AL 606(a) with JBL guts?

I am seriously interested in how it measures... Also, pics of guts would be fun.

Here are the photos.

A bit more about what I know of these speakers.

They came out of an old movie theater that has been closed for years. 

The man I got them from has listened to them for the last twenty some odd years and said he never did anything to them.

They are in the condition from when they were pulled out of the theater.

I have been listening to them for several months now, I am  very pleased with their sound and they still crank. 

​The cabinets are very solid but need some TLC, few paint specs on tops minor scratches. 

Any thoughts.  

post-58499-0-06400000-1459452170_thumb.j

post-58499-0-71720000-1459452220_thumb.j

post-58499-0-13360000-1459452263_thumb.j

post-58499-0-44360000-1459452313_thumb.j

post-58499-0-89880000-1459452360_thumb.j

post-58499-0-40080000-1459452408_thumb.j

post-58499-0-23160000-1459452582_thumb.j

post-58499-0-28280000-1459452628_thumb.j

post-58499-0-27600000-1459452681_thumb.j

I saw your listing for $2,500. GL on the sale. Let me know if you get any offers. 

Those 606's I linked to that sold had original Altec Duplex drivers which by themselves are worth between $500 and a grand each. They have the logo emblems on the fronts which is a plus since the 606 was reproduced as there were build plans available. They had been professionally restored. Also, there was a video of them operating. I think all those things are why the high price. 

You need more research... The guts look newer than the rest of the speaker but who knows? You should spend some time investigating this. 

Are those horns mounted to the cabinet or just sitting on top? If mounted, does the hardware look original? Were the JBL components made during the time the cabinets were made?

I still think you got some jewels there though. You probably have a ways to go before you are going to get $2,500. To get 4,000 you will need lot's of information and for all that information to corroborate that kind of price.

Thanks to those who responded. After much research, I found, the speakers inside the cabinets will sell for $600 to $700 alone. I have them listed on that auction website we all know for $800 obo. If there is anyone on this site that may be interested in them I will take $600.  I think they are well worth that.  

Thanks and my best to all,

Dean

• Like 1