upgrading chorus2 x-overs ?

i just found a great deal on some walnut chorus2's.  ive been searching for a pair of these in walnut for awhile now & jumped when i found them, met the guy just a few hours away in illinois.  i have owned forte & forte 2 & didnt realize just how big these chorus are!  they are monsters & dwarf the fortes!  they are in very nice shape from the original onwer, aside from a few scratches & dings they look great, & best bookmatched veneer i've seen, they should clean up very nice.     

the speakers sound good overall & all drivers & passives work & look good, but compared to an older pair of original fortes i had these chorus sound a little muddy or flat in the mids & tweets.  these are hooked to the exact same system (just an 90wpc onkyo AVR for now) & same location as the fortes were.  the fortes were great, very crips & clear & somewhat bright but in a good way, a very lively sound & great bass.  the chorus sound "ok" but lack the bright detail & crisp clear mids, they have great bass & upper bass impact & i can tell they will go very loud with more/better power, but for now they are just an average pair of speakers not producing the klipsch sound i know should be there.  so.. that leads me to believe the caps should be replaced on the x-overs, along with getting titanium tweets, but for now i want to do just the x-overs to confirm the originals were bad.  whats strange is,  the fortes were a few years older than the chorus so it must be use & abuse as well as age that degrades caps. 

i will probably just get the crites repair kit for them & redo them myself, but after buying new ti-tweet diaphrams for the fortes & chorus & wanting to upgrade the x-overs on my k-horns eventually,  i am considering saving a little $$ & buying the caps individually from dayton or solen etc, instead of the sonicaps used in the crites kit.  i realize they are probably a "better" cap & well worth the money, but i would be happy for now with properly working stock x-overs, so new & better poly caps than the stock klipsch would be more than enough i would think. 

what brands have others used & what were your opinions of them?  thanks in advance for any input/opinions on this touchy subject.

post-57869-0-35760000-1459962538_thumb.j

Edited by klipschfancf4

I have had good luck with the Dayton's and Sonicaps, personally cannot hear the difference between the two.

Parts express also carries Audyn Capacitors for a good alternative.

Good score on the Chorus II's, owned a few sets myself over the years.

Bob sells complete crossovers for these as well if you want the super easy way out but at a higher cost of course.

good to hear you liked the daytons ok... ive read many people say they cant hear any differences between the expensive & cheaper poly caps, but then again ive read a lot of people say they can indeed hear differences & even explain them with very descriptive words.  hard to say whats real & whats placebo effect...  i know if i paid some of the crazy prices for boutique caps i'd really want to hear a difference too!  

bob definitely has some very nice new x-overs, out of my price range for upgrades at this time though.  im hoping the logic is correct that entry level new poly caps will be better than the stock 25 cent a piece original electrolytics that are 25+ years old.  

• Like 1