Placement of La Scalas and SVS

NOZ

Hi all,

I'm messing around with the placemnt of my La Scalas and SVS subs. I know the proper placement of the subs is in the corner, this leaves me no choice but to put them behind my La Scalas.

My question is if I tuck the Las into the corners and angle them inwards, can I put the SVS just inside them and use the Las as a corner as well?

Will this resonate through the Las, and disturb them? Please look at my website to see the positioning. The RF-7's are gone (sigh), and the Las will remain to the outside of the dropped screen.

Thanks for any comments,

Sean

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

DUAL USAGE ROOM

Fronts & Mains: Klipsch La Scalas

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD-3805

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Dual SVS Ultras w/ Samson 1000 watt amp

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

Noz,

I use to have the sub set right off to the side in the front. However to me it just did produce the lower end like I wanted. The low end seemed to be colored.

I have my La Scala's in each corner up front and toed in. I put my sub on the other side of the room in the R corner. I feed the sub info to both the La Scala's and my sub. I have all of the surrounds and center set to small, 80hz and above. The sub is set about 80Hz and below. I found this combination excellent for the La Scala's bass reproduction. My room size is 22'w x 20'd.

I get excellend sound pressure levels anyway, but the added sub in the rear corner instead up front gives a overall smoother lower end. And since I sit near the back anyway I get that real good low end feeling in the bones. Now this works for me and it most likely sound different in your room.

But Hey, give it a try.

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

NOZ being in tune with your room is the most overlooked aspect of getting the most for your HT investment. And the proof of your particular pudding is likely a Radio Shack SPL Meter (Analog meter is more accurate - and less expensive - for this purpose).

From the looks of your room, Sean, ScooterDog is barking up the right tree when he talked about putting the SVS array in the rear. Better quality subwoofers do not have the problem of emitting harmonics above 80Hz that let your ears know where the subwoofer is.

While your sub(s) are cranking the soul satisfying lows, your ears will associate the above 80Hz related with the lows with the primary speaker(s) and it will appear that the lows are coming from those speakers rather than the subwoofer(s). It is an uncanny experience but one that is common to those who take the extra time and metering it takes to set up an HT. Remember, human ears are not set up to make finite critical adjustments... but SPL meters are.

The corner by the equipment rack and listening chair on your website should provide a great home for your SVS Klipsch enhancers... and, don't forget, they are stackable (base end to base end)! Enjoy!! -HornED