Marantz 2330B Receiver

dougdrake

Copied from the General Questions area, in case it gets more attention here. mobilehomeless, you can disregard this if you like, and I won't be offended Smile.gif.

-------------------------------------------------------

I was recently given a Marantz 2330B, such as this:

http://www.classic-audio.com/marantz/2330b.html

While it weights about as much as a wheel off a '63 GMC 1 ton pick-up truck, I don't know if it is worth trying to breath life into it.

The problem is this -- when I turn it on, I hear a faint hum from the transformer, but there is absolutely no output from it to the speakers. I've tried both the tuner (AM and FM) and the AUX input using my CD player. Dead silence. I can't find any fuses inside the chassis which might have blown. I have put jumper cables from the pre-amp out to the main in on the back, since the standard straps are missing.

Before I haul it in to a repair shop (and risk a huge repair bill which may not be worth it), does anyone have an educated guess as to the severity/cause of such a problem? Or are the possibilities too numerous to mention?

TIA-

Doug

------------------

My System

I see these fairly often and I would say this is the END of their "good" years. Not a bad receiver but solid state repairs like this can get up there. Seeing as you can buy a 2240 or 2245( which are BOTH better) off ebay in NICE shape for $100 or less, I would say Bail cause most techs will charge $45-50 an hr and you will spend a couple hours worth plus parts.

doug,

Danocaster is correct repair bills can be very high and unless its in perfect cosmetic shape which would indicate very light usage its not worth it.

There is one thing I found to work on these sometimes. If you pull the cover off and look at the right front area behind the control panel (right when looking at it from the front) you will see a small device that has a clear plastic cover this is the delay and safety switch for the amp section I believe. I had a friend bring me one that would play for a few seconds and then click and go silent. I tapped the clear cover of this device with the handle of a screw drivers and he's been using it for 6 months without incident. Maybe your little device is stuck LOL !!!!

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Thanks, guys, for the inputs. This one is definitely NOT in perfect cosmetic condition - in fact there are several items that need repairing (lights out, broken phono plug on Phono 1, broken Quadrial FM Output (whatever that is) plug, tuner only goes halfway across the dial,...). But, before I messed with it as a project for myself, I just wanted to see if the darn thing would even play anything!

I'll try your suggestions, and if it doesn't work I'll give it away to my local repair shop if he wants it.

DD

------------------

My System