OT Direct TV

InventiveAudio.com

I was wondering if anyone has Direct TV and how they like it. I use to have DISH but got rid of it for digital cable with on demand programming. Suffice to say the digital cable had a horrible interface and was slow to use. I liked DISH alot but found it a bit slow too. I heard that DTV's guide and userbality is much faster

I have DirecTV and I really like it. The interface depends on what type of reciever you have. My old reciever had a very fast and responsive, easy to use interface. It was an RCA reciever, but forgot the model number (it is still in the basement but don't feel like digging it out Smile.gif ). I upgraded to the newer UltimateTV reciever. The guide is a little sluggish, but the interface is still very easy to use, not to mention the DVR capabilities. Also, I have always gotten a excellent picture (except for the rare heavy rainstorm when I lose the signal). If you do end up going with DirecTV, I would highly recommend getting a TIVO or UltimateTV capable reciever.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

I know a guy who also has the RCA receiver with DTV and he said that it was fast. I ordered the Hughes receiver with a lighted remote and DD. I hope it's as fast but I really wanted a remote that lights up. I ordered the eliptical dish and plan on getting an HD feed some time in the future. I'm still deciding on a set. I like the 61" HD Toshiba set. I'll be installing the dish myself. I saved about 200.00 by doing this. The runs are there from when I had dish so I don't think it will be that difficult. My digital cable has to go. Too bad because of they ironed out all the huge kinks it would be a good system. Have u heard anything positive about the Hughes receiver with directors pack and DD?

This message has been edited by trader on 09-04-2002 at 06:40 AM

Echostar, the company that runs Dish Network, and Hughes, the company that runs Direct TV, are awaiting approval on a merger. Neither company will tell which hardware will be used when/if the merger goes through. I have Dish Network and I want to upgrade my receiver but I am hesitant to do so fearing that it may not work in a matter of a few months.

-Scott

Trader askes:

Have u heard anything positive about the Hughes receiver with directors pack and DD?

No, I have not heard anything good or bad about the Hughes recievers. I did play with a Sony reciever once, but I found I liked the interface on the RCA recievers better (plus at the time I bought my system over 3 years ago, the local Rat Shack was offering a sweet deal on them and all they had was RCA).

Yes, I have heard and seen the news about the proposed merger of DirectTV and EchoStar. I have a feeling that wont be for awhile and when it finally does, it'll be awhile longer before they phase in whatever new service comes out of it. Personally, this is what I think will happen. They'll probably standardize on the DirecTV for the simple fact there are more subscribers. They'll then offer some kind of trade in/buy back of the older equipment and issue new equipment or at least a voucher for new equipment and let the buyer pick out the reciever. Hopefully this will happen at no cost to the end user (unless they opt to get something higher-end than what they had before, such as a DVR capable reciever to replace one that does not have DVR capabilities). I would imagine the dish and LNB itself does not need to be upgraded, just the reciever.

I am looking at this from both sides of the coin. My parents has DISH network, while I have DirecTV. From what I saw of my parents DISH service compared to my own DirecTV service, they are both very good services. It basically comes down to the equivalent of if you want Chevy or Ford or Pepsi or Coke.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

You really can't determine how a system works unless you live with it for a while. I spent about 4-5 days with DTV and really liked it better than Dish. I had high-end receivers and the service was still slow. If you want to find out info about a movie it would take 10 or more seconds for the info to come on the screen. Also, channel surfing was slow and the guide took a few seconds to come up. The picture was excellent and the interface was really good. I had a great signal too so I can't imagine it being any better anywhere else. I also know about the merger but doubt it will go through. Wouldn't they be creating a monopoly for satellite service? Even if it does it'll be a year or two before they do anything and I with digital cable out there they are not going to make it too painfull to upgrade.

I do not dwell on the leadtime to get a signal. I used computers in the 70s, I have patience.

I like the optical digital signal from Dish music stations decoded in Stereo from my Sherwood newcastle preamp DACS. They are much better than the Dish Receiver DACS.

I do love the Dish receiver 6000 with 8VSB card HDTV though.

Both systems are similar; the receiver model you procure seems to have more influence.

I have a Dish Network system. I got this a little over a year ago. I went with the DN system because they offered a receiver with optical output and dolby digital. Most all of your PPV movies, starz, hbo, and showtime broadcast in DD. I have had no problems with it. Sometimes it may lag but not to often. Picure quality is excellent and sound is great be it DD or pcm stereo.cwm4.gif

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround