which cd changer to buy ???

Joe DiClemente

Joe,

I received a Sony CDP CX-400 as a gift a few years ago. Although I haven't really had any problems w/ it, I think I would rather have a higher end single disk player or even a multi disk player that allows you to change disks while you are playing another. The biggest problem I have w/ my 400 disk changer is the amount of time it takes to change from one disk to another...seems like forever! There are some good points such as various groupings that you can assign and program and the ability to plug in a computer keyboard to enter disk info/titles, but I never use those features. I do however like the ability to just hit play and walk away for hours while entertaining and I do get to use both the optical digital out as well as the analog out to simultaneously feed both my HT system and 2 Ch. system so that I can get away w/ having only one sub-woofer that works w/ both systems (they are both in the same room).

Good Luck

Dave

Joe - Dave brings up a good point -- What is your goal in having a megachanger? I'm in the "turn it on and let it rip" category myself, rather than the "let's load a single CD and focus on it" category, so for me a megachanger is a blessing. I have a Pioneer Elite 300 changer, and I use the dual outputs (digital and analog) to feed two different receivers -- one in my HT room and one for the rest of the house. (Actually, it has 2 digital outputs -- optical and coax -- which gives you all the connection options you need.)

I wrestled with the Sony vs. Pioneer decision, and I finally went to Pioneer because it allows me to assign a single CD to multiple categories. That let's my wife and I each have our own "favorites" category but have some common disks in each. I guess a way around that is to burn a copy of the CD and put two in the changer, but I didn't want to mess with that.

My biggest complaint about megachangers is that there is no PC interface that dumps out the catalog so you can look up the disks on paper to see what you want to hear. I understand there is a PC interface for the Sony brands, but I can't recall the name.

DD

------------------

My System

Joe -

I came close to buying this unit as well, but opted for the same 400-disc changer in Sony's ES line.... Sony may be discontinuing this upscale line, but if you can still get one of these units you will be pleased. 5-yr factory warranty. I ended up getting the unit for $450 shipped from Soundcity.com; call them directly and speak with Joe at x708. They will give you a great deal on anything you decide to go with, but call them directly as you may get better pricing than appears on the web. Happy Hunting.

John

We have a a 300 (mine, see below) and 400 SOny CD changer. They both rock.

I have the optical output going into my receiver, so the DAC is in the receiver, I think it MIGHT sound better, more bass (I am not a believer of that sort of stuff, but I really think I get better bass responce with the receiver doing the DAC...)

Anyway, slow to change discs, but SOOO nice. Don't forget you will have clean, scratch-free discs.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org