Good quality stand for tube gear and turntable

boomac

The top dog there really knows stereo.  I actually met the guy when Larry recommended I visit a high end seller just outside of Chicago many years ago.  (BTW Larry, he loves the Basis Tables but wishes the owner were more accessible.)

Hi Scott,

Was he referring to the owner of the Basis Audio company?  That'd be surprising if so -- AJ Conti has a strong reputation of being extremely accessible, virtually at all hours and over weekends, so there would have to be a misunderstanding for him to be referring to AJ.  I do think Basis makes remarkable stuff and I believe Gary thinks the same way.

See http://basisaudio.com/products.html

Yes, some are putting a lot of $$ into cable, and I don't think it's all "snake oil," either.  I suggest you have a conversation with John Pharo of The Cable Company (near Philly).  

See https://thecableco.com

I believe the company will loan out some cables for you to hear for yourself, and may have some used stock.  My system has quite a few Siltec interconnects, and I believe Gary has Siltec between his preamp and his VRD's.  You might not want to have silver in your system (often too bright a sound), but John has recently recommended JPS labs to me, which you might want to ask him about.

Good luck!

Edited by LarryC

• 2 weeks later...

I settled on a Salamander Archetype 5 position stand and a Archetype Amp stand.  They're quite sturdy and good looking, (my opinion) and they'll give me the flexibility to move things around if necessary.  Started putting the stand together and will get the amp stand on Thursday so by that evening I should be set to go.

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/products/itemtype/87e7031f-5419-be6a-e00b-506f5791364

I also picked up an IsoTek Aquarius conditioner. For me, it's the first such device that actually provided a sincere improvement in sound quality.  A local dealer gave me some

AudioQuest Rocket 33 speaker wire to try.  Should be interesting.

You probably have the same power company I do.  Actually, I never thought such a device could make a difference.  I've had some difficulty noticing a difference with speaker wire and have wondered if I just wanted it to sound better to justify the added expense.  Anyway, I listened to the same CD with and without the Aquarius on two different systems and I honestly believe the sound was enhanced.  Granted, I haven't auditioned it with my system but felt strongly enough about it to fork over the fair amount of money it cost.   

I've tried many power conditioners and all they did was color the sound . But everyone hears different , as long as ones happy all that matters glad you found something that works for you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't you know where you are in Wisconsin but I bought the Aquarius from Audio Emporium.  I like them and trust their opinion.  Dave and his staff were never impressed with conditioners, (at any cost) until the IsoTek Aquarius came along.  I hope the impact on my 2 channel system is as significant as noted at the shop.  I figure we're lucky here in WI. to have several quality high end stereo shops staffed with knowledgeable music enthusiasts. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, boomac said:

Don't you know where you are in Wisconsin but I bought the Aquarius from Audio Emporium.  I like them and trust their opinion.  Dave and his staff were never impressed with conditioners, (at any cost) until the IsoTek Aquarius came along.  I hope the impact on my 2 channel system is as significant as noted at the shop.  I figure we're lucky here in WI. to have several quality high end stereo shops staffed with knowledgeable music enthusiasts. 

I'm over by Madison , I have been to the Audio Emporium they had nothing there that interested me . I order most of my stuff online since I cant find it local . When I first started out I visited all those shops and bought plenty of gear but that was years ago and many pieces of gear have come and gone since then . I think I'm finally done just waiting for my new preamp Thursday . 

Hello Scott! Nice to see a post from an old timer. How's your tennis game? I hope your still playing. You are lucky to have quality stereo stores as there are so few of them around. I would always buy from a local indy retailer when given the choice unfortunately there are just not a lot of choices for local audio these days!

BTW I would vote to go back to square avatars just so the full lp chet baker lp cover can be displayed!

Josh

Good to hear from you Josh.  Why the heck did I think you were in California? 

Didn't notice the new avatar look until you mentioned it but I strongly agree. 

I retired from coaching this year but I still play a little and continue to work with a few of the young kids.  Trying to play a bit more golf these days. 

It's about time I got this 2 channel system set-up where I'll actually listen more.  Too many LPs, (including Playboys) have been sitting on the shelf for too long.  I've had the Pro-Ject PerspeX for several years and I doubt it's close to being broken in. 

I am in California ! By indy I meant independent ! Glad to hear your still whacking the tennis ball. Golf is too frustrating for me but I still give it a go from time to time. Not sure how long the body will allow for tennis.  Achilles surgery and other assorted dings  knocked me off the court for about a year and I am just now starting to hit again. Too many LPs is a good thing! Now get that that Turntable broken in!

Cheers

Josh

Ha!  A new titanium knee put an end to any serious singles play for me but at least I can move around without pain.  It's a hard adjustment because I always played singles a level or so above doubles.  Perhaps we should have concentrated on tennis in our younger days and gone to golf in the later years.  And yes, golf is a darn frustrating game.

I went to assemble the Salamander Amp Stand and darn if they forgot to include the bolts.  Should have by Friday so I guess it'll be the weekend before I start spinnin' vinyl.  Wasn't iy you that turned me on to the Rega CD players?