Proud new owner of Scott 299 and 310E � Thank you all

Kudret

Hi Everyone,

Ive been a lurker on this forum for some time now and educating myself about the vintage tube amps, Klipsch speakers, etc. Not being too happy with my SS setup (see below), recently I decided to take the plunge into the tube world and bought a Scott 299(late A model) on eBay for $110 which turned out to be a clean unit. I initially was considering buying a restoration kit from Ryan Inman over at the HHScott forum but then I decided to ask him to do the restoration job for me, and I am glad I did - he did a superb job. Thank you Ryan.

At the same time as I bought my 299, I put an ad in the local newspaper for vintage Klipsch speakers. I ended up getting a single Heresy for $40 but more importantly I made a new friend who has been collecting tube gear and vintage speakers for years - he has a Scott 299D and Spica-TC50 himself. He also had a Scott 310E tuner that he was not using and I am so happy that he sold it to me at a very good price ($200). The tuner had two shorted tubes and as soon as I replaced those, it performs like new. Ive read that old tuners usually need to be re-aligned but I did not notice anything wrong with mine. Especially after I installed a Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna I can receive stations that I did not know existed, from one end of the dial to the other.

As for my vintage speaker search, I found a pair of vintage KLH Model Twelve speakers at a garage sale for $40. They are not very efficient but, I like the way sound and decided to use them with my 299 for now.

To give you some perspective, I have a decent HT setup (Lexicon DC2, Anthem MCA5-II, Diva speakers, and Sony CE 775 SACD player) that I am very happy with its HT performance. The music is a different story though - it sounded so harsh and tiring that I quit listening to music. But all that has changed now. Since I received my 299 and connected it to KLH 12s, Ive been listening to music (mostly FM and some CDs) for at least 3-4 hours a day. This will sound like cliché to you all but, music is now more realistic, engaging, and detailed compared to my SS setup above. I am also aware that KLHs are not probably the best match for my 299 but they are a better match than Divas. Eventually I would like to get some LaScalas or even KHorns to complete my setup.

In the end, I ended up spending $500 on a tube system that I am enjoying immensely and I have the members of this forum (especially NOS440) and HHScott forum to thank for that. Cheers.cwm16.gif

kudret

The great thing about these vintage tube amps is they sound excellent on a number of speakers, not just Klipsch. If you dont happen to have room for Klipsch Heritage in your home or want a second system, these vintage units will do excellent on a pair of nice monitor speakers. I have had great results with ProAc, Paradigm, PSB, Polk RT5 (yes, Polk...believe it or not - some of their monitor speakers are pretty good, amazingly enough). The imaging properties of a good pair of monitors with quality stands brought out away from the room bounderies can be startling, pulling a major disappearing act with good tube gear.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-07-2002 at 08:01 AM

fini, I like the CE 775 Scott 299 combination very much. Scott tamed all the harshness that I had with my SS setup.

Mobile, The weakest link in my system at the moment is my speakers (I am missing the external contour box that was supposed to be used with these speakers - KLH 12). I am planning to try some vintage speakers from my friend's close to 50 pairs of vintage speaker stock Smile.gif. When I visited him I felt like a kid in the candy store.

Today I connected my Marantz 6200 TT and things got even better. Did I say I really like my Scott Smile.gif. Cheers.

kudret

This message has been edited by Kudret on 09-07-2002 at 09:00 PM