Yet another SVS sub question

Compton

With my SW12 currently serving as nothing more than a paper weight after getting struck by lightning, I have decided to get a new sub. I am leaning towards SVS based on lots of recommendations..

Wife will be pissed if i spend more than $600 on a sub. So my choice is between the PCi and PC + series.

1. Are the PC and PC+ series the best in the $500-$700 price range?

2. WHat size do i need for a 15x15 room with 14 foot ceilings

3. Is the PC+ worth the $200 price difference?

Thanks

1) IMO besides DIY, the PC+ is a yes. However one other option that can compete with the PCi in it's price range is the Adire Dharman.

You could also look into having Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio costum build you a Tempest or Dayton DVC15" based sub. Although shipping could be somewhat prohibitive.

2) Square rooms are aweful for bass, cubes are even worse Frown.gif I'd stronly recommend you pick up an EQ as well (Behringer FeedBack Destroy is a cheap but decent parametric EQ). The three different sizes within a model are all exactly the same except for net volume and tuning point. The trade off is a little bit of above 30hz output for a slightly larger chunk of extension. I'd go with the 20-39 size (its the middle compromise on everything, middle price, middle above 30hz output and middle extension). Just to give you an idea of how small the difference are though here is a response graph of the PCi sizes.

16-46PCi is in purple, 20-39PCi is in red, and the 25-31PCi is in light blue.

sub_cs_performance.jpg

3)

The PC+ vs the PCi.

PC+ has a 525W BASH amp PCi has a 320W BASH amp.

PC+ has a continously variable phase control, PCi has a 0/180 switch

PC+ has a 4 different rumble filters you can select from, PCi has one

PC+ uses three 3" flared ports, PCi uses a single 4" flared port (gives PC+ 70% more port cross sectional area and is the same port configuration used in the Ultra and SS).

PC+ uses the DB12 driver while the PCi uses the ISD driver. SVS says the DB12 and extra power will take the PC+ ~80% of the way to the performance of a Ultra

So bottom line is easily worth the $200. Tom and Ron have said, and from what I've seen they are correct that the PC+ will set a new price performance standard.

This message has been edited by Dustin B on 09-07-2002 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for your reply. It was very informative.

Also zapped by the lightning strike was my yamaha receiver. I replaced that with a Denon 1802 last week. Now I have to figure out(If its possible at all) how to connect my Yamaha EQ-550 to the Denon. But that's a question for another forum Smile.gif

Thanks.