ht test discs, worth it?

middie8

Look around, you can find AVIA or Video Essentials for cheaper. Also, try the place you do business with. I got my copy of AVIA for free.

Now to you question. I wasn't so sure if it would help. I did my TV first. My wife, who couldn't tell the difference in the TV and Home Theater, noticed the difference in the way it looked. Then I did my audio. I noticed the difference right away. It is like listening to an orchestra tune their instuments. At first they are off and sound funny and tehn all of a sudden they sound all together and harmonious.

------------------

Come on honey why can't I spend some more money?

I recently purchased Video Essentials at a local Suncoast for $34.95, and I have to say it was money well spent. As Stevelee said, the difference between uncalibrated vs calibrated is amazing (or *can* be amazing is probably better).

As far as Avia, I hear its quite good also, but I've heard complaints that the audio portion doesn't include a dedicated LFE channel.

Domain

Ok - another dumb question from Mr. Adams.

I've seen posts about AVIA and Video Essentials and now these testimonials. Can someone describe to me what these products do? I don't need exact details, but the comments about "calibration" has me very curious.

TIA

Tom Adams

tom, the video section basically calibrates your tv video setting to the video output characteristics of your dvd player. basically has u turn down the tv sharpness level (well that seemed to be the most effective change for me anyway biggrin.gif)

i was complaining on avia not putting anything on their lfe channel for the subwoofer phase test but found away around that (myself as they never responded to 3 emails) by changing the receiver input mode from auto/digital to analog for that test.

Tom - Both discs have interesting tutorials and a bunch of video and audio test patterns/signals. They teach you how to make the changes to various settings on your monitor/receiver to achieve the nirvana of HT!

I found the biggest improvement on my TV came from turning down the brightness.

The audio tests on Avia will run frequency sweeps (from 200hz to 15hz for example) that let you identify audio black holes, rattling picture frames, etc...

Doug