Klipschorn Source for Walnut Edge Banding

StephenJK

• 2 months later...

As promised, a bump to post the rebuild progress.  The Minwax Gunstock stain color worked great, it matches the original veneer very well. 

The crossovers were rebuilt using the schematic provided by Bob Crites with the rebuild parts - this is the original Klipcsh design for the AA network.  Other than the capacitors and the Cinch 8 position terminal blocks, I reused all of the original components.  I was evern able to remove the front plate and recycle that to the new crossovers.

I added a pair of better than decent banana jack/screw post terminals for the incoming speaker wire, as it's nice to have something other than a couple of small screws.  The posts are threaded into a recessed hole in the bottom of the wood plate, and then potted with epoxy resin to keep them in place.  The connection is in parallel with the original input screw terminals.  That changed the layout quite a bit, I tried to put things where the connections to the terminals would be without long runs or with mixed signal wires. 

I thought I had a picture of the bass cabinets, but they must be on my phone.  They're completed and sitting in the house.  Will post that tomorrow. 

I see a lot of discussion on how and where the original crossover design is either the best thing ever or a clumsy effort.  I decided to rebuild them the way they were designed - based on the theory that someone at Klipsch just may have known what they were doing.

Stephen

Crossover After.jpg

Crossover Before.jpg

Crossover Front.jpg

Horn Section 1.jpg

Horn Section 2.jpg

Edited by StephenJK

No worries, we're all here to help each other. What we mean is Danish Oil, available in clear or stained different colors. 

Danish oil is oil with a certain amount of varnish in it. You apply by flooding the wood, wait for fifteen minutes, wipe off and then repeat. You can then leave it like that or wait at least 48 hours and then cover with water or oil base Varathane in the gloss of your choice. I prefer water base satin finish. The water base is a lot easier to work with and you can do a couple of coats in a day. Let it harden for a day or two and then do a wet sand with 400 grit or better for that silky mooth finish. 

The original oil application gives a nice rich traditional look. My pictures above your post are the oil finish only. 

• Like 1