RP-140SA distance

chuckd1991

I have a pair of RP-140SAs on top of my R-26Fs, which are about 13' away from my main listening position, and my ceiling is 8' high.  The overhead effect seems to improve about 3' forward of the main position.  Is there a recommended maximum distance for the 140SAs?  If it's not the problem, what other tweaks should I try?

For the most part, you are not going to hear much out of the Atmos speakers since their role is a bit different in the system.  Ambient sound, panning and object movement gives them a supportive role in the HT.  The Atmos experience in one word is more immersive.  My Atmos speaker don't call attention to themselves very often either.  Others may chime in on what they are hearing out of their Atmos speakers.

It depends on the material. I swear something was rattling on one of my speakers while watching a scene in Gravity. Sandra Bullock is in one of the other shuttles trying to get back and she is flipping a toggle switch over and over again. Of course, somewhat quiet scene with no other action going on at all. But for the most part atmos doesn't jump to the forefront. Panning is cool on anything overhead (Mission Impossible:Rogue Nation or the plane flying over Roger Waters in the WALL.)

i have in ceiling atmos however so we planned ahead on seating and where other surround speakers were going to be located.