Receiver recommendation RC-62 ii , R-14s, R-28F, R-12SW

Vik

Hi all,

Thanks for taking time to reply :-). I just bought a bunch of klipsch gear (first time ever with home theater) over black friday. So, essentially, I have a vaulted ceiling family room with 20 foot x 20 foot dimensions. With doing some basic research over the internet this is what I bought:

Center: RC-62 ii

Floor (2 of these): R-28F

Surround (rear): R-14S (is this any good? or will i better of buying cheaper bookshelf)

Woofer: R-12SW

I paid close to 1.1k$ for all the above and not even sure if I have a good setup :-/ ... is this too expensive or did I get the right gear?

Bigger question.. I got a good deal on a Yamaha RX-V679 (299$) so bought that, the specs are (from Amazon)... will 90W power at 20Hz-20Khz suffice to power the above setup? Or do I need a bigger receiver (I dont care if it is a different brand). 

RX-V379 RX-V479 RX-V579 RX-V679 RX-V779
Channels 5.1-ch 5.1-ch 7.2-ch 7.2-ch 7.2-ch
Output Power (1 kHz, 10% THD, 1-ch driven, 8 ohm) 130 W 140 W 140 W 150 W 160 W
Output Power (20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.09%, 2-ch, 8 ohm) 70 W 80 W 80 W 90 W 100 W
4K Ultra HD with HDCP 2.2 Yes (pass-through) Yes (pass-through) Yes (pass-through) Yes (video upscaling) Yes (video upscaling)
Bluetooth Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes
Wi-Fi - Yes Yes Yes Yes
Network Sources - Pandora, Spotify, Internet radio Pandora, Spotify, Internet radio Pandora, Spotify, Rhapsody, SiriusXM, Internet radio Pandora, Spotify, Rhapsody, SiriusXM, Internet radio
YPAO Sound Optimization Yes Yes Yes Yes - with Reflected Sound Control (R.S.C.) Yes - R.S.C. with multipoint meassurements
Multi-Zone - - Zone B audio Zone 2 audio with Party Mode Zone 2 audio with Party Mode, Zone B video
Dimensions 17-1/8" W x 6" T x 12-3/8" D, 16.3 lbs. 17-1/8" W x 6-3/8" T x 12-7/8" D, 17.9 lbs. 17-1/8" W x 6-3/8" T x 12-3/8" D, 17.9 lbs. 17-1/8" W x 6-3/4" T x 14-3/8 D, 22.1 lbs. 17-1/8" W x 6-3/4" T x 14-3/8" D, 23.4 lbs.

First off, welcome.

The RC-62 II is the best speaker in that configuration.  Keep that in mind.  It is a beautiful center channel and a cut above the rest of what is in your setup.

Next, the RX-V679 is not 90 watts per channel.  It is much lower than that.  It is 90 watts per channel in a 2 channel configuration only.  I'd guess about 1/3 of that in a 5 channel configuration.  I have not been a fan of the RX-V line since the 40 series, so I won't comment beyond that on the AVR, but my choice in Yamaha's tends to go to the AVENTAGE line.

I use 65. I know a lot of people driving Klipsch speakers with only 1 watt in 2 channel configurations, don't think it should be much of an issue, but may leave you underwhelmed on some of the peaks if listening to movies at reference level.

Thanks Ibiza! I was curious to know since I read from this article (might be their marketing stunt) http://www.klipsch.com/blog/how-to-buy-the-best-home-theater-receiver/

WARNING

Consider this a disclaimer. It is entirely possible to damage a Klipsch speaker by under-powering it. Power handling depends on the type of input signal and the user – not the manufacturer – controls the input signal in actual use. Clipped signals are a death sentence to speakers, even if the clipping occurs in the mixer, equalizer or other signal processors.

Hi Ibiza,

I've tried out the RC-62 ii ... seems that after an hour my ears start to hurt even on low sound, bad cabling or receiver you think? The audio is not pure unlike the one that comes out of the tv (which sounds pleasant but bad in depth)

After I setup the front left/right and center along with YPAO, the clarity is much better. Thank you!!!

I went to bestbuy for a bit to see what they have, the rep was selling me definitive tech. and said they are way better than Klipsch.

Just now, Vik said:

After I setup the front left/right and center along with YPAO, the clarity is much better. Thank you!!!

I went to bestbuy for a bit to see what they have, the rep was selling me definitive tech. and said they are way better than Klipsch.

Glad to hear it's sounding better for you.

They aren't exactly "way better than Klipsch" - they're different than Klipsch.  Some people prefer different things.  Sounds like a typical Best Buy employee to me, pushing what the store tells them to essentially.  I've never met a Def Tech that I liked.