Considering a better turntable...

av8tor

Looking for an obvious move up from the early 80's B&O

3400 turntable. Not sure if my ears have been biased toward the CD format for the last 15 years, but after breaking out the 3400 in the past few months, just sounds kinda dull. I know there have been advances and would like to re-discover the LP's I have...and add to them. Currently using the Denon 3300 for all the HT and 2 channel entertainment, with La Scala's at the mains with 3 Heresy's and a old Frazier sub doing the rest, and quite well. May have to try the old system for the A/B. I used to use a parametric Yamaha pre with a big ole McIntosh SS. Will also be restoring an HK Citation IV/V for 2 channel only. Any suggestions starting around $500-750?

Are you using the Phono stage on the Denon? If so, that is your problem. I used to use the Phono on my Denon 4800 and it was horrible. I went and purchased an AES PH-1 from AudiogoN and upgraded the tubes to NOS and it was a revelation.

I then picked up an old Scott 299 which has a great Phono stage, and am now using that for vinyl. I sold the AES for what I paid for it and couldn't be happier. BTW, I am using a Dual CS-5000 from 1988 w/Shure V15V-MR cartridge. It sounds very good at the moment...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Some thoughts about your turntable:

Is the B&O belt drive or direct drive? If direct, I'd replace it. If belt, perhaps the cartridge could be replaced (has it ever been?). If you are anywhere near a specialty ("high-end") audio dealer, they can often suggest replacement (Grado has some good reasonably priced ones).

If you want to replace take a look at http://www.amusicdirect.com for Music Hall at 269.99 & 449.99; Rega at 439.99 & 749.99; Sumiko - 3 models under 750; and what looks like a great table, the VPI HW-19jr at 574.99. I have used this dealer for music and had no problems.

Whatever table you get, definitely get a better phone preamp than the Denon. You can find plenty available from $25 to thousands of $. I'm not too familiar with them (I use my old Adcom preamp/tuner now just for a phone preamp), but I've heard the NAD PP-1 is decent. It's available new for 110-120 and often turns up on ebay for less.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advise, as this is what I needed to confirm. Sometimes my brain has other ideas and good to know this time it was right.

The B&O 3400 is a belt drive and came with Ortofon's

MMC20EN cartridge. At the time, only the 4004 was the step up. All is original and hopefully this weekend, I will set up the Yamaha C-6 preamp (MM,MC) and feed the Denon thru an aux input. That should make the Denon happy.

The only issue with a phono stage is the questions concerning loading the cartridge properly. Several models mention the loading subject and yet others have no mention. Then too, wonder if a new turntable is justifiable. I'm sure the diamond needs to be inspected also.

Until the next time.....kt