HF-81 arrived today, yep, it's ugly all right

Tom Mobley

the ax's and au's that have enough printing on them to see are the ones with the cartoon, Bugle Boy, I think thats' what they're called. They all look identical to my inexperienced eye.

The source deal is the pits, an old JVC CD changer and the $.99 cables that come in the box with cheap SS stuff. I don't have an issue with that right now, what I really want is to get the amp stabilized and solid.

I'm worried about that wax dripping out of the PS, but right now it doesn't seem to get all that hot. Bugs me to have those completely different EZ-81's in there, one of them has no marking on it, it might not even be the right tube. I'll look out on ebay to see what's available.

Tom

EDIT: typo

This message has been edited by Tom Mobley on 09-18-2002 at 06:40 PM

well, how's this for a plan?

the two original 30uf @ 400V PS caps replaced with Sprague Atom 40uf @ 500V, there is a 30uf@400 available but I'm unable to get it's dimensions. the diameter is touchy, about 1.125" max is it.

the 4 original .1uf @ 400V in the 12au7's replaced with .1uf @ 400V Orange Drop 716P's

the 2 original .25uf @ 200 caps in the preamp replaced with Auricaps .22uf @ 450V, don't see much 200V out there.

Comments, criticism, laughter all welcome.

ALso picked up 2 NOS "Made in great Britain" Sylvania EZ81/6ca4's for the rectifiers, unknown mismatch stuff in there. Need to get something known good in place.

Tom