Questions on expanding from 5.1 to 7.1

Boilermaker86

Hi, I'm new hear and love the responses I have gotten so far on the forum. I had a question about going from a 5.1 set up to 7.1.

I included pictures of my currentset up. I have my rear speakers on my back wal currently. I had some speakers above the side couch were the Chicago picture is and on the adjacent wall. The problem was when I sat on the back couch, the surround effects were in front of me which was not right. When I sat on the side couch, I was too close and the effects just went over my head. 

Lately, I have been looking at the back corner and wondering if I could have a rs-52 speaker on both the back and side walls (where the clock is currently). Then, when I sit on the back couch, it will be directly to the side of me, and when I am on the side couch, it will be on the side and slightly behind me. I would move the back speakers in closer to the window and the side speaker as close to the door opening to make them as far apart as possible. Seems like it will work, but my only concern if they would be too close together. What do you think?

IMG_7211.JPG

IMG_7212.JPG

IMG_7213.JPG

IMG_7214.JPG

IMG_7215.JPG

Think about your room a little differently, back up a bit.

The speakers need to envelop your seating positions in order to give you surround :emotion-21: sound.  

Both of your seating positions are very problematic and causing a lot of the issues.

Against walls is generally bad, but most especially the back wall where bass collects, reflections occur and the surrounds don't get a chance to surround you.

Assume for a moment you only have one couch in that room, either the 2 or 3 seater, depending upon how many are normally in the room.

About 1/3 of the way forward from the back of the room is often an excellent starting point for where the listening position should be.  A room has to function too and guidelines are just that, so let's say the 2 seater got placed right about where the middle panel of the Chicago picture is, centered in the room.  

I would try the surrounds just behind that seating position, say lined up where the edge of the surround just would line up with the back of the couch (just behind).

That would give you the surround sound you have been looking for, even in 5.1.  For 7.1 the current position of the RS52s is almost spot on, just maybe a bit closer together.  

Another pair of RS52s would rock but as back surrounds you will get by fine with something less, even a small pair of bookshelf speakers is enough for back surrounds.  

Now I realize that you don't necessarily want, or can't have, a couch in that spot.  And what to do with the other couch etc, of course is all important and maybe overriding considerations.  But that room looks fine to me, it's placement that has been off. 

Whether you want 5.1 or 7.1 (I like 7.1 :), you put in that movie with 7.1 Master Audio etc, and you smile and nod), the position of your couches has been what has made it sound off, especially near walls like that where the reflections are blasting you as much or more than the front speakers.   No matter what get that 2 seater off the back wall, that is killing your surround experience!  

Experiment by putting the couch in different spots and the surrounds on boxes or small ladders/tall tables, anything to try and get a sense of what you'll have before changing anything permanently. 

Exactly, the placement there is close to what I would try.

it's always a challenge in a living space to balance the theater/vs living room aspect.

That's what it comes down to though, the closer you get to about 1/3 from the back wall with a couch, centered in the room, the better the sound.

If there is SAF factor involved, I would perhaps suggest what would be best and see if you can get some buy-in/design agreement :)

The other factor that would help - after placement - is a few acoustic panels at the first reflections.  The panels cannot overcome the placement issue but would help the room no matter where placement is located.  But I will tell you this -- you can buy a $2000 AVR or upgrade your speakers, and nothing will improve the sound more than the first few panels you add at the right places.  Just a thought.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just thought I would share a photo. Moved things around a bit. I'm loving the upgrade from the synergy series to the reference line. 

I did have a question about a future upgrade. I current have an Onkyo 805 which is great, but going on 10 years old now. I was looking around at new receivers and saw an Anthem 710 receiver that had fantastic reviews on the sound quality. Would that make a good pair with the klipsch speakers and make a big difference?  Currently, the 805 has plenty of power, auduysse XT room correction and Thx listening modes. I have also heard good things about Marantz recovers too. 

IMG_7457.JPG

IMO the back recliner is way too close to the rear surround speakers and your surround area is too compact to deliver the best possible effect. Move your side surround speakers closer to the center of the room (put the left one between your "Chicago" picture and the side window and the right one in front of the opening to the kitchen?) like on the " old picture", then move the side couch and recliner forward and put your back surrounds right in the corners under angle, facing the center of the room. It will expand the surround sound area and put you in much better listening spot. I have a similarly shaped room with one side sofa and smaller recliner on the back and moving the reclined and sofa forward dramatically improved the sound stage and surround effects.