7.1 surround with 2nd receiver???

jefnel1

I have a question that I may regret asking. I saw someone mention this in the past, and was wondering if it would be doable.

I have a Pioneer Elite VSX36-TX receiver and I am looking to go 7.1 surround. I would need an additional 2 channels to do so. I have an older Sony 100w receiver that is collecting dust. Is it possible to connect the Sony to the pre-outs on the Pioneer just like an external amp? If so, what input would I use on the Sony? Would any damage result?

Does the Pioneer have pre-outs for those two extra channels? (I'm trying to think what format has two more discrete channels in it...)

Anyhow, if the Pioneer has the pre-amp outs, simple connect them to the Sony's pre-amp ins (or tape ins, if it lacks pre-amp jacks), and you'll be fine! I'm using an old NAD receiver that way to drive two channels to the rest of the house off my Denon receiver. Works great!

Thanks for the reply!

The Pioneer does have pre-amp outs for the 2 extra channels, but the Sony does not have pre-amp ins. Can I really just hook it up to the tape ins without any problems? That would be awesome. I have been researching external power amps for the past few weeks, and it just dawned on me today that I might be able to use the Sony without shelling out $500 for a new 2x100w amp!