My denon / KSW12 experience FYI

t-man

I've been playing with my Denon AVR681 and KSW12 settings for 6-8 weeks now. Lots and lots of experimenting. Believe me, I tried everything! The other day, I finally decided to try using the speaker wire connections instead of the RCA inputs.

WOW! The first thing I had to do was crank DOWN the volume on the sub. I was running it at 6-7 via the sub out, but with the speaker wires, I had to tone it down to about 4. I've found that setting the crossover to about 70 works well with my KG 5.5s. I turned sub off in my setup, and set fronts to large..all else small. Sounds pretty good. This was the only way to set my mind at ease that my KG 5.5s were being used as much as they could, and that I didn't feel confused about dual crossovers (sub and Denon conflicts).

I would have to say that this method produces excellent results. Same if not better than the best results I could get with using the sub-out method. I think I found the answer.

Any opinions? Should I turn up the crossover a bit for HT? Any higher than 70, and the bass gets a bit muddy for music.

If I power down the sub, am I getting full range out of my mains? When I do this, I hardly hear any bass without turning up the bass on the reciever to +4-6 db. I run it all flat with the sub connected. Are my 70-120hz frequencies not loud enough running EQ on flat?

Thanks,

T-man

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another chapter to the saga...

I finally got around to yanking the subwoofer cable out of my KSW12, as I had switched to speaker level inputs a week or so back. I just never got around to pulling out the rca cables...hell..they were supposedly not doing anything anyway since I set subwoofer to "no" on my Denon.

That night, I watched a movie, and I had little to no bass. I couldn't figure it out. I cranked up the sub, and had to go along way to get the bass that I was accustomed to.

Could it be that the seemingly non-functional RCA subwoofer cable actually increased bass when left hooked up?

I plugged them back in, and "bingo" I had to turn the bass way down and I had my thunder back. Turning the volume past 2 o'clock resulted in a terrible squeal though. Beyond 10-11 o'clock results in too much bass anyhow.

My question...what the hell is going on here, and am I in danger of harming my sub by keeping both connections (RCA and Speaker) simultaneously?

Thanks,

T-man

t-man, that's interesting. do u still have the denon on front+sub?

btw, have u tried running the denon's main preouts to the ksw? that ksw is a funky lil beast biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!