Chorus II's - help with midrange problem

bmartin

I've been the happy owner of a pair of Chorus II's circa 1990. Unfortunately, the midrange horn on one of them will come in and out. Sometimes higher volume levels would kick it back in but it had now been out for quite awhile. Therefore, its time to fix it. As an aside, the speakers have only been used at moderate sound levels since i left college in 1992.

I'm wondering if this is a blow horn or some other problem? Crossover?

I'm not very technical myself but i'm genrally handy and could perform simple fixes. So i'd like to know if i should take them in for service or buy replacement parts and fix them myself.

Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated.

------------------

Setup:

Chorus II's

KV-3

KSP-S6's

Sounds to me like you have a connection problem either at the Xover or at the midrange driver. That shouldn't be a terribly difficult problem to correct.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

It is impossible to diagose a specific problem by the evidence on hand. I'd agree with Lynnm totally.

Overall, as he says, this is most probably a connection problem. It could be in the crossover, or the connection to the driver, or within the driver.

In my experience, cutting in and out is a dirty or loose connection in the wiring. I have not seen a problem within the driver voice coil which is intermittent. They simply go dead. But I'm often wrong. As many point out. Smile.

The only way to tell for certain is to take it apart and wiggle the connections you can get to and determine whether this fixes things. If everything is snug, then it may be the voice coil of the mid and you'll have to go to Klipsch for a replacement.

I think the way to gain access to the innards is to unscrew the big passive radiator in the back.

Let me suggest that you make sure the connection to the speaker and the amp is okay before you take a screwdriver to the beauty. These can be cranky too.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 09-24-2002 at 09:08 PM