Sound Level Meter

170out

I have a Denon 3802 and KLF 30's. I measured and set the delay time as 11 feet for the mains, and 4 feet for the surrounds. Then I put a little table on top of the "sweet spot" to a point level with my head. Then I put the SPL meter on top of the table with the mircophone pointing up at the ceiling. On the reciever I went to channel levels and chose manual-start test, then turned the volume down. With the SPL meter at 70 dB i slowly turned the reciver volume upwards to -10. Then I adjusted the left channel level until the SPL said 75dB, took +2dB. Then went to the right channel, up +3db. Back right, +5dB. Back left +6. Now I know that at -10 volume, all my channels are at 75dB at the listening position according to the SPL meter and the denon test tone.

I think that I have done this properly, but if not someone let me know. I'm curious as to what volume levels other people have set their recievers to, because even though I used -10 as my reference volume, I can't watch Terminator 2 at that high of a volume, it's way higher than 75dB. Not sure what concept I am missing that relates my -10 Volume level to the 75dB on the SPL meter.

hope this helps and did not confuse you

Another tip is to use a camera tripod to hold the SPL meter -- it has a doohickey on the back that accepts the screw of the tripod.

I used a calibration disk in my DVD player to set my volumes, as I found there was an audible difference in the level I achieved when calibrating using the Denon test tones and those on the test disk. I preferred to test from the source device itself, taking into account its electronics and so forth.

I used the Avia disk, which has its test tones at 85db. My Denon is calibrated so that 85db on the test disk is at -10db on the volume setting. I believe my channel settings for my mains are at 0.

Keep in mind that the 75db/85db calibration point is 30db/20db below the DD/DTS standard of 105db. The various makers of test disks (and designers of test tones) record those tones purposely at -30db/-20db to allow you to calibrate without blowing your hearing at 105db. The reason it sounds so loud on playback of actual movies is that those sound tracks are produced using the 105db standard, not 75/85db. So, sitting in your sweet spot, that -10 setting on your amp is actually running up to 105db at times, not 75db or 85db...

DD

------------------

My System

Thanks DD. Where can I get a copy of this Avia disk in Canada and whatis its cost? I used the test tone in the 3802 and didn't like the results. To much out of the rears when playing music. Not that I can't turn them down but that won't keep a even 75db on all 7 of the speakers in the setup. Am I doing something wrong or is the setup different for movies and music.

170 - What source are you using for music? If it is a different device than for movies, you can set different channel levels and the Denon will remember them for that source and switch to those levels when that source is selected. Pretty cool, huh?

I bought my Avia disk from buy.com, I believe, when they had some coupons in www.fightdivx.com. Not sure how shipping to Canada works, though. Most good online DVD sources should have it.

DD

------------------

My System