DISH HDTV artifact noted

Audio Flynn

In the outer horizontall edges of the screen in very bright pictures I get a strange atrifact in my 36 in Toshiba HDTV.

The artifact is an irregular concentric curved ripples phonomena; like if you through a stone in a pond. 3-8 ripples parralell to each other.

When I use my progressive scan DVD player I get no artifacts. When I use the DISH Network HDTV tuner I get the ripples.

Anyone seen this artifact on DISH or any other HDTV tuner?

i have a question for you, rather than an answer. I have a 65" mitsubishi hdtv and the standard dish network receiver. the dish network picture absolutely sucks - VHS is almost better! like you, my progressive scan DVD picture is quite excellent. did you notice any improvement to non-hdtv programming using the hdtv receiver?

------------------

mr.bob

Have you tried a realy good S Video Cable? Maybe the TV kicks out allot of EMI(?). I have seen the same thing to varying degrees.

Some of the channel content is sent from Dish at a very low resolution and looks terrible. Almost like it looked better on the old analog TV.

Local stations from the satellite receiver can look particularly bad.

Discovery channel looks awsome most times.

Progressive scan DVD is excellent16.gif

dish net hd looks awesome at 1080i on both my 36" hd ready sony xbr and a dlp 4x3 pj-HOWEVER non hd channels look really 'hazy' on anything i send that signal to.

the model 6000 requires you to be in hd mode in order to output thru the component video out.

hope this helps-avman.

Scooter,

Is your TV an HDTV?

I bought the extended warrranty just incase i decided to have these types of discussions with the service people.

Supposedly, they are supposed to download ne w software enhanements when your SAT REC is turned off.

Perhaps there is some sort of video compression going on with some channels that is not readily noticable with an analog TV.

i believe i'm seeing the compression of the small dish on my big screen. can't watch a hockey game on it - the puck disappears when its moving fast (which of course is most of the time) because the compression speed can't keep up with it. whenever something moves, i lose detail. it actually looks bettter on my ancient 25" console. i also have a c-band BUD (big ugly dish) system which is analog, but it gives a far clearer picture on the big screen. unfortunately, i can't get local channels on the BUD.

doesn't sound like the HDTV small dish receiver offers any improvement in picture quality for non-HDTV pictures. :(