My First Heresy's need advice

Rusty2009

I have found a mint pair of HII's for $400 That I am picking up. I have KG4.2 with crite upgrades as my mains now. KG3's with crite upgrades as my rears. I am wanting to switch the 4.2's to the rear. 3's to front surrounds and the Herseys to my mains. Question should I upgrade the hersey's with the crite upgrades or leave them stock. I an Running a Yamaha TRS 7790 with RC 52II center and [1] R110SW AND [1] R112SW subwoofer. Thanks Rusty

Edited by Rusty2009

Hi Rusty, welcome to the forum.

What i would do is play them as they are, make sure that all the drivers are working. Put a towel in the tweeters to see if the mids are playing then put a towel in the mids  to see if the tweeters are working. Make sure they are playing  at the same volume. If they sound good leave them as they are, if there not rebuild the crossovers, try that  and go from there. 

• Like 1

H2 will benefit  by diaphragm upgrade to Crites ti tweeter similarly to your KG series except that the KG are wide band tweeters and in the H2 the tweeter only plays harmonics (over 6KHz. and no fundamentals). To get the full effect you might want to switch to ti mid diaphragms (like the H3 and CW3). You can purchase Klipsch original factory ti mid diaphragms from Simply Speakers and they will take your H2 to a whole new level. I installed these in Forte Forte 2 and KLF20. welcome aboard. I loaned a set of late model Heresy (early 85) in a friends theater set up phantom centre placed them on there sides with the tweeters in to the centre mids at seated ear level sounded excellent that way check it out.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2017 at 4:34 PM, moray james said:

H2 will benefit  by diaphragm upgrade to Crites ti tweeter similarly to your KG series except that the KG are wide band tweeters and in the H2 the tweeter only plays harmonics (over 6KHz. and no fundamentals). To get the full effect you might want to switch to ti mid diaphragms (like the H3 and CW3). You can purchase Klipsch original factory ti mid diaphragms from Simply Speakers and they will take your H2 to a whole new level. I installed these in Forte Forte 2 and KLF20. welcome aboard. I loaned a set of late model Heresy (early 85) in a friends theater set up phantom centre placed them on there sides with the tweeters in to the centre mids at seated ear level sounded excellent that way check it out.

James the mint H2's weren't so mint. I picked them up for$200. Both tweeters are blown . I ordered crossover repair kits and  tweeters from crites. I have to refinish them. Question should I fill them with damping material. I am going to damping the tweeter horn and mid horn. Will Damping the box get it a little more base? I worked great on my 4.2's.

you can try stuffing the cabinets with rock wool or fiberglass. Higher "R" value insulation should work a little better but standard R15 is a great place to start. You will give up a small amount of efficiency and you will gain apparent cabinet volume so the woofer will respond as if it were in a larger volume.

My first and only pair of Heresy were very late model Heresy just prior to the Hll launch in 85 and they had K52 mid drivers not the k55. I installed ti mid and tweeter diaphragms into my Heresy and was very pleased with the results. I also had two sets of H3 which have both ti mid and tweeter diaphragms (one set sold now so down to one set of H3). Heresy are nice speakers hope you enjoy them.