New to Home Theater...What should the Crossover be set to?

pujolsfan

I've used a few soundbars in the past, but then I found a great deal on an AV receiver which got me interested in the whole home audio stuff. It seems like the more research I do, the less I know. Anyway, I just got my subwoofer and was wanting some input as to what the crossover should be set to. Here is my speaker setup so far:

AV Receiver: Yamaha RX-V377 5.1 Channel (bought for $5 :D)

Center Channel: Klipsch R-25C (frequency response: 82Hz - 24kHz +/-3dB)

Left / Right Bookshelf Speakers: Klipsch R-14M (frequency response: 64Hz - 24kHz +/-3dB)

Subwoofer: Klipsch R-8SW (frequency response: 38Hz - 120HZ +/-3dB)

What would you all set the crossover at? And from my understanding, the gain is a matter of preference, correct?

And one more thing. Maybe my ears just aren't good, but I really can't tell much of a difference when I set the AV receiver to "none" for a center. Honestly, I actually think it sounds a little better without the center when listening to music. Is that crazy? The main thing I watch is sports, so I wanted a good center channel to hear the commentators clearly, which I think it does fine with. However, I was wondering if there was any kind of setting I could tweak to help with actors who have really low voices. I can still understand them, but they could be more clear. I assume there isn't anything that can be done about that, but I figured I would ask.

Thank you for any input that you might have. I'm very new to this kind of stuff. And frankly, it's a bit confusing to me. Thank for reading!

With that setup I'd probably have my XOver set at 120 Hz.  None of those speakers dig too terribly deep.

As for the center - that's probably the problem - the center channel itself.  The setup is very entry level and as such you're bound to have entry level issues.  Some others have had some better luck with the R-25C, but some of this I'm sure is room treatments or amplifier correction.  I am not sure if the entry Yamaha's have such correction (I know the AVENTAGE line does).

I'd run YPAO - which I think all Yamaha AVR's have now - and see if that helps your issue.  That might also automatically adjust your XOver point too.  As for no center with music...a lot of us don't.  Most music was recorded in stereo, and that's how I think you should listen to it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The History Kid said:

With that setup I'd probably have my XOver set at 120 Hz.  None of those speakers dig too terribly deep.

As for the center - that's probably the problem - the center channel itself.  The setup is very entry level and as such you're bound to have entry level issues.  Some others have had some better luck with the R-25C, but some of this I'm sure is room treatments or amplifier correction.  I am not sure if the entry Yamaha's have such correction (I know the AVENTAGE line does).

I'd run YPAO - which I think all Yamaha AVR's have now - and see if that helps your issue.  That might also automatically adjust your XOver point too.  As for no center with music...a lot of us don't.  Most music was recorded in stereo, and that's how I think you should listen to it.

Thank you! I'll adjust the crossover to 120 Hz and see what that sounds like. I had it at 80Hz which is just what the receiver was set at when I got it. I didn't have any idea what it should have been at. 

Unfortunately, my center is confined to being inside a cabinet...which I know isn't ideal, but I don't have any other option right now. I'm sure that doesn't help the problem.  And the room wasn't exactly made with acoustics in mind. I'll see about running the YPAO feature. That certainly can't hurt.

Hopefully I can get everything sounding a little better. I know everything is entry level, but I'd hate to upgrade after just having bought these.

Thanks again!