Will Quintets be right for me?

jrs

I have a room that is 15'x24'. The wife likes the little speakers (she wanted Bose). Will the Quintets be ok in a room of this size for HT only?

I looked at the Synery Sytem 6 but they are to big. Our room only has the size restriction on the fronts. Would Quintets on the front work ok with something like SS5's on the back?

I also need a rcvr. Can anyone recommend something in $400 area?

Cheers,

JRS

JRS,

Save yourself the pain, and do what you wife tells you to do.

Seriously though, the quintets are much better than the Bose. Tell you wife about all the money you are saving and get yourself a better center channel (try the SC-1), and get the KSW12 subwoofer for that big room. Do you have room in the front corner for a sub?

Try the denon avr 1601 in that price range for a reciever. Check online for great prices around $300.

T-man

There comes a time in every mans life when he has to put his foot down! And that time is now jrs--don't try and explain anything, just go buy them and let em rip.

Sometimes you just can't explain why you need it (has she ever not had an exlanation for something she bought or used the "it was on sale" line).

Klipsch's are MANLY speakers! Go for it!!!

PS: Don't tell my wife I said this stuff

Here is the system that I am going to set up. Since I am new to this I would like any opinions.

rcvr: Denon 1601

surrounds: Quintets

center: sc1

sub: ksw10

I'm on a tight budget and will be using this primarily for HT.

Opinions welcome.

jrs

Looking for some support from the factory reps here, but I think you might not want to get the SC-1 center channel if you are going with the Quints up front for left/right. It is important to match the front soundstage, and I think the SC-1 might not be the best match. I'd either stay with the Quintet center channel, or go with the SC-.5 which is closer to the Quints than the SC-1.

Also, if you can stretch to the KSW-12 you'll be happier. If you take the extra cost and divide it over the number of months you are going to have to live with the system, you'll find the extra expense comes out to a very small number. (At least, that's how I rationalize it smile.gif )

Doug

jrs,

In a previous post, I recommended the SC1. I did this because I read somewhere that the quintet center really can't handle much, and actually sounds better with the quints. If you are anything like me, you will probably want to upgrade soon, and the quintet will be useless for you.

dougdrake is correct in that the center should match the mains, so I would suggest you try and head to head comparison between them all. I did not know an SC.5 was available, and this may be your ticket. Sorry for the confusion. I also agree (and I state this earlier) to go with the KSW12 for that big room. Especially since you are using quintets and not full range speakers. The little added cost is miniscule compared to the return for your dollar. Brandnamez has them for ~$300.

Good luck! Let us know how it all pans out.

T-man

Thanks Doug and T-man for the discussion.

My wife likes the Quintets. She says, "They are cuter than the Bose and we can get them in white!" I don't agree with the logic but I agree with the outcome.

I think your right about the sub. I'll probably regret the smaller sub.

I guess I need to sort out the center thing and I'll be ready to purchase.

The thing that makes this so difficult is the lack of authorized dealers in my area that have set-ups so I can do comparisons. One of my "authorized dealers" (from Dealer Locator link on this site) said they didn't carry Klipsch and another didn't have any on the floor but said, "You can order them from us".

I would hate to go with another brand.

jrs - t-man is right in his thoughts that you may wish to upgrade in the future, and the SC-1 would give you a more robust center for future use. IMHO, though, it seems almost impossible to pick a center speaker now that will work for future upgrades. Tastes/budgets/etc change so fast that you could drive yourself nuts trying to pick something now that will last very long.

When I started my HT journey a year ago, I bought a center to match my 1985 KG-4s and figured I'd be done for a while. Less than a year later I replaced (courtesy of a birthday present from my wonderful wife) my fronts with bigger Klipsch's and now want to upgrade my center. So, I take comfort knowing that I can at least get a fair sum out of my Klipsch speakers when/if the time comes to trade up.

I have:

- Yamaha Receiver (85wx5, last years model, DTS, ect)

- Toshiba DVD Player

- Magnavox 5 Disc CD Player (a few years old)

- Klipsch front and rear surrounds (Quintets)

- Sony Center Channel (looking to upgrade)

- Velodyne Powered Sub (12", about 4 years old, bought used)

I am happy with the system except the center channel. I was looking at the Klipsch SC-1. I heard this at a local shop and was very impressed. They were also using the Quintets as surrounds. Any ideas?

Thanks, Will..

When I heard the Quintets with the SC1, it sounded really good. The thing is this room is much bigger then the room that I have my HT system in. He played the scene from Dragonheart and I was impressed. It sounded very clear and it wasnt too bright.

I didnt see that they had a SC-.5 hooked up. What is the major differences between the SC-.5 and SC1?

Thanks,

Will..