Tube rolling - Cary SLI-80

A_Felio

My current system consists of the following:

Cary SLI-80 (40 wpc Triode/80 wpc UL)

4 - KT-88 Svetlana

2 - 6SN7GT - Chinese - Labeled "Electron Tube"

2 - 6922 - Russian "Red Rocket" (Stock tubes were Sovtek)

2 - 5U4 - No labels w/ black base

Ah! Super Njoeb Tjoeb 4000 CD Player

2 - 7308 Seimens

Burr Brown OPA 627 OpAmps

D.H. Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 Interconnect

Klipsch Chorus II w/ 12 ga. copper speaker wire

The system sounds great, I'm enjoying music more than ever. My tastes include SRV, Dave Mathews, Kenny Wayne Sheperd, Aerosmith, ZZ Top, etc. Very little jazz or classical.

Any suggestions on tubes for rolling? I also plan to upgrade the speaker wire. I'm using up some 12 ga. left over from the HT setup for now.

I enjoy the forum. Looking forward to comments/suggestions.

Thanks, Archie

Re Stevie Ray Vaughn

I first heard him on the "Texas Flood" CD. I had purchased it because of a rave review of Tin Pan Alley.

Unfortunately I was underwhelmed. I later acquired a vinyl copy of Couldn't Stand the Weather as part of a collection I purchased.

I listened to "Tin Pan Alley" one more time - YIKE!!!

I can't get enough of that performance! - What a difference!

As far as speaker wire.... I have been an ardent pooh-pooher of anything beyond decent 12 AWG. but recently I built a set of cables based on Jon Risch's designs,(simply because I wanted to go play without spending a lot of $$$$) and I have to admit that there does seem to be an improvement particularly in smoothing the midrange and an overall increase in transparency.

I will not say that it revolutionised my system's sound,saved my marriage,and cured me of acne but I have to admit that there seems to be an overall improvement.

Oh! and Kelly ! Yes you told me so!

I didn't use the Belden coax in my wires so I cannot say whether they would be superior to the generic that I used or not but the Belden stuff was way outta my budget and the generic seems to be OK.

> 2 - 6SN7GT - Chinese - Labeled "Electron Tube"

These should move to backup status as soon as you get some others. There is basically nothing more lame sounding than Chinese and Russian 6SN7s. Place some good NOS 6SN7 tubes and you will hear a nice improvement, well worth the cost. There are MANY NOS 6SN7 options. If you would like, email me for some specifics as I dont do as many tube recs online anymore. IF you like, do a search in 2 Channel for 6SN7 and see if you can see past recs.

> 2 - 6922 - Russian "Red Rocket" (Stock tubes were Sovtek)

Russain Red Rocket.... hmmmm... I can think of quite a few great NOS 6922 options. Hell, deang might sell you some of his cache! Lord knows, he had a few.

> 2 - 5U4 - No labels w/ black base

Well, it is generally thought that Mullard makes the best rectifier tubes and I dont disagree although there are some other options that have been ok. PRoblem is, Mullard rectifiers have hit stratospheric prices in the last few years. But the Mullard 5U4G is a cant lose tube.

The Svetlana KT-88 are supposed to be damn good for new tubes so you are doing lovely there. Glad you like the Cary. Now you just need to go for the Jensen Copper Foil Oil caps!!!

kh

There are good Mullard and Philips NOS E88CC (same as 6922) for about $35 ea. They have gold pins. Philips have text "SQ" / "Special Quality" writen on them. I found them significantly better than an RCA version, actually made by Siemens. They're both available from several sources.

leok