Gain at the phono stage or preamp?

rplace

I'm playing around with a phono stage for my LOMC Zu Audio Denon-103. An online calculator suggest my optimum gain is 61DB I have the option on the phono stage of 56 or 66. So 61 is right in the middle. I've been reading up on where it might be best to have the gain. Most but not all suggest the phono stage as long as you are not overloading the preamp. I'm not quite clear on how to calculate that just yet. Some that fall on the preamp side make valid points. Like most answers it seems to be "depends" or listen and decide. My listening seems to suggest on the phono stage but I'm not sure if that is clouded by what I've already read and the fact that louder tends to sound better. I have a sound meter so I'm doing my best to listen to the same tracks at the same volume.

Wondering what you all think and why - as well as what you do in practice. I've got a solid state phono stage and tube preamp. My gut says the less I turn the tube preamp up the less chance for noise. I can get pleasant listening levels and LOUD with either setting on the phono stage so not like I have to keep the pre way low or super high. 10 'o'clock to 2 o'clock range on either give or take depending on what I'm feeling like at the moment and the phono stage setting.

Thoughts?