Help me decide between these ceiling speakers for Atmos/DTS:X

Kain

Since I have a concrete ceiling and cannot use in-ceiling speakers, I was recommended here on the Klipsch forum that I should use the Klipsch Pro KPT-801 for the four ceiling speakers. Then, someone asked a similar question on the AVS Forum and there he was recommended the Klipsch AW-650 (or one of the similar models) for the ceiling speakers. The Klipsch Pro and the Architectural speakers mentioned have a very similar design and look and both come with C-brackets. My question is, which should I go for? The Klipsch Pro KPT-801 or the Klipsch AW-650? If you were to leave it to me, I would probably just go for the Klipsch Pro KPT-801 because of increased output/SPL and the fact that it is designed for cinema use whereas the Klipsch AW-650 is an outdoor speaker. Any comments/opinions will be appreciated.

By the way, can both the KPT-801 and the AW-650 be mounted to a concrete ceiling using the supplied C-brackets that come with the speakers? I am pretty sure the KPT-801 can be ceiling mounted using the C-bracket that comes with the speaker but not too sure about the AW-650.

Kain,

Seems like you've already solicited general advice on which speakers to get, so if you're strictly looking between those two models, I'd probably lean towards the KPT-801's. With the AW-650's, it seems like you'd be paying a bit for the all-weather package that isn't needed in your scenario. Then again, it seems like you'd be paying a bit of a premium for the professional theater line too to cover the atmospheric portion of HT, while none of your other channels are from the professional theater line. Either one of those should be ceiling mountable given the right anchors. How is the supply chain for Klipsch in Dubai?

I haven't seen your previous thread of searching for recommendations, but how high is your ceiling? I ask, because both the 801's and 650's will eat up at least 12" of vertical space after mounting. Would you consider something like the R-14S? I would think they could cover the atmos channel content well enough and they would reduce the vertical profile by half of the 801s/650s. Any chance you could score 4 used RS-7s? :) 

All of that is offered with the caveat that I have not heard either of the 801s or 650s or any atmos soundtracks.

Good luck with your search.

On 1/2/2018 at 9:34 PM, haydukej said:

Kain,

Seems like you've already solicited general advice on which speakers to get, so if you're strictly looking between those two models, I'd probably lean towards the KPT-801's. With the AW-650's, it seems like you'd be paying a bit for the all-weather package that isn't needed in your scenario. Then again, it seems like you'd be paying a bit of a premium for the professional theater line too to cover the atmospheric portion of HT, while none of your other channels are from the professional theater line. Either one of those should be ceiling mountable given the right anchors. How is the supply chain for Klipsch in Dubai?

I haven't seen your previous thread of searching for recommendations, but how high is your ceiling? I ask, because both the 801's and 650's will eat up at least 12" of vertical space after mounting. Would you consider something like the R-14S? I would think they could cover the atmos channel content well enough and they would reduce the vertical profile by half of the 801s/650s. Any chance you could score 4 used RS-7s? :) 

All of that is offered with the caveat that I have not heard either of the 801s or 650s or any atmos soundtracks.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the reply.

Can you mount the RP-140SA or R-14SA on a concrete ceiling? As far as I know, these are not designed to be ceiling mounted.

Now that I look at the stock versions of those speakers, trying to get them stuck on a concrete ceiling might not be the best option. Although, I still think it could be done if one was determined. I assume your comfortable in getting a decent screw stuck in the ceiling, regardless of the speaker model.

Both the SP-140SA and R-14SA have only a single key-hole mount as shown below. If you were set on one of those models, I'd put an appropriate screw in for the key-hole, and then on the opposite end of the speaker, some pedal board tape like this. This differs from standard Velcro/hook and loop styles and is much stronger. The pedal board tape would serve two purposes: 1) Help hold up the speaker, and 2) keep the speaker from shifting the key-hole slot off of the screw. Make sense?

Here's an example of the pedal board tape.  

RP-140SA

Mpwy94.jpg

R-14SA

g714R14S-B.jpg

Thanks.

However, considering I listen very loud when given the chance, I think the small Klipsch Atmos modules may have an issue with keeping up with my SPL requirements. I really don't want to risk blowing the speakers. Because of this, I keep coming back to larger and beefier speakers like the KPT-801 and AW-650. But after some research, I found out that the AW-650 does not use a real compression driver and while its sound quality may be okay for outdoor use, it doesn't have the sound quality to match Klipsch's home/indoor speakers. The KPT-801 has a real compression driver and, most likely, will be able to keep up with my SPL requirements. I may end up with the KPT-801. Does anyone know how much they cost?