Klipsch Sub Dead in the Water?

jasondavie

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to the audio scene and I'm trying to work things out slowly.  I live in Australia (240v electricity supply).

I recently bought a second hand Klipsch Sub 12 for $200 in what looked like almost new condition.  I took a risk and purchased it without hearing it due to it being from the USA and the owner not having a step-down transformer.

I purchased a 1000w Tortech toroidal step-down transformer and hooked it up.

I was pretty happy with the sound for the price of the sub, so I decided to get crazy and and my 3rd sub to the mix.

I'm using an Onkyo RZ710 receiver, which has 2 sub outputs.  In one output I have a Yamaha NS-SW300 sub and out of the other I ran the newly acquired Klipsch.

I watched a YouTube clip from SVS showing how instead of using a splitter from the back of the receiver or even out of a sub's output terminal, you can plug the splitter into the sub's input and then plug the RCA from the receiver into one of the female plugs on the splitter and the 2nd sub into the other female plug.

So I plugged a splitter (Cadence brand whilst I'm waiting for my Audioquest RCA and splitter cables to come in the mail) into the input of the Klipsch and then plugged the RCA from the receiver into one input and my other Yamaha sub (YST SW315) into the other input of the splitter.  The Yamaha's are Aussie bought with 240v and the Klipsch is USA bought running through the step-down transformer.

From that moment onwards the Klipsch stopped producing sound, but the Yamaha worked fine.

There was no noise, bang, smell, smoke or anything to alert of any problem apart from no sound.  The LED on the front of the Klipsch still works.

I've tried using different cables without the splitter straight into the Klipsch.  I've tried the other sub output from the back of the receiver.  All cables and the other 2 subs work fine, but nothing from the Klipsch.

Even though I'm no electronics expert, I pulled the Klipsch apart to have a look at the circuit boards but I couldn't see any blackening, smell anything abnormal or detect any obvious sign of a problem.  If I knew what I was looking for specifically, perhaps that would help :)

So bummed to kill my new sub on the first day!

I can only guess that it has something to do with mixing 240v and 110v subs but I thought using the step-down would make that alright and I wasn't aware that audio cables could be related to electricity voltage in any way.

Can anyone help a newbie with an unusual problem?

Cheers,

Jason.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:48 PM, CECAA850 said:

Run a single cable to the klipsch sub and see if it works.

Yeah, tried that with a few different cables.  I've tried from both outputs from the receiver.  My other 2 subs work with any and all combinations of the cables and outputs that I've tried. 

I've removed the woofer and done the 9v battery test and it crackles as it should.

It's gotta be somewhere in the circuitry, but I've got no idea where or what I did wrong to cause the issue.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

You sure you're getting 120v out of the transformer? 

I'm not sure how to test if it is 110v/120v out of the step-down transformer, but I do know the sub was working fine until I plugged in my splitter into the LFE input in the back of the sub and then plugged the cable from the LFE output on my receiver into one of the splitter inputs and the Yamaha sub cable into the other splitter input.

Here's a link to the step-down transformer seller.  From everything I could find, they are a quality product.

https://www.tortech.com.au/step-down-transformer-australia/usa-step-down-transformer/1000w-transformer-economy-step-down?show=review

Just grasping at straws here as I can't imagine what would take the amp out by plugging an RCA cable in to it.  

To check voltage just use a multimeter set to AC voltage.  Does it have a power light at the plate amp?  Is it on?

Another possibility is that the amp coincidentally crapped out.  It's very common with Sub 10s and Sub 12s.