Hafler Amps

zoocow

well, still searching for a nice pair of cornwalls, but I did come across someone selling La Scala's. He was powering them with a Hafler amp. They sounded sweet. Since I am also looking for an amp, does anyone know anything about these amps(XL's vs. DH's). Some on ebay, pretty affordable too.

thanks

"Audio'" magazine ran a review of the Hafler XL-280 in the November 1987 issue, with Leonard Feldman officiating.

In a nutshell, David Hafler devised a simple way of tweaking the amplifier so that it acts like a straight wire with gain. An accessory called the XL-10 was available, along with an access hole to make the speaker-amplifier interface maximally flat for the chosen speaker load.

Though descended from the renowned Hafler DH-200 and DH-220, the XL-280 circuit is a substantial engineering advance. MOSFET output devices. Fully complementary from input to output. Quadruple J-FETS in a double differential push-pull cascoded arrangement, chosen for thermal stability, low distortion, low noise, and high impedence "tube-like" characteristics.

The XL-280 & 600 was last offered in 1991 - $800 & $1300 retail. They were replaced the next year by the Transnova series.

In a nutshell, I would recommend the 280. Bought mine as a demo unit close-out in July of 88, at Best Buy, of all places. Still going strong, powering Klipsch Forte's with a matching 110 preamp. Couldn't get rid of them now - have to see how long they'll last!

NP - DRAIN S.T.H. - Horror Wrestling

I owned a DH-500 for a couple of years back in the early eighties or late seventies - I can't recall. Anyway, I bought it used and drove a pair of ESS amt-1b's with it. It was a monster (250Wx2). I thought it sounded OK, but I did have some recurring problems with the power switch. It tended to burn out.