DVD player..Is this a good one?

IndyKlipschFan

I am not sure what "progressive scan" is (I assume it has to do with the video...does this require the disc be a "progressive scan" disc too?) in laymans terms, or SACD either (Super Audio CD disc..again is this a special disc too? and will other non SACD discs play fine on this also. IMO it looks like this is really feature laid out well and the price is good. I did not disclose the player manufactuer on purpose, so as to not bias the results. I am amazed at what you can buy in 2002, and wondered if you would add your two cents to the buying descision? Even if the current technology is chaged, it is firmware

upgradeable... So I do not end up with pro logic when digital is the latest greatest next big thing?? Let me know what you think.

Product Specs

Audio

5.1 Channel Built-in Decoder Output

Digital Equalizer

3D Virtual Surround Sound

Dolby Pro Logic

Dolby Digital/DTS/PCM Ready

Headphone Jack w/ Volume Control

Optical Digital Output

Analog Audio Out (Dual)

Video

Progressive Scan Video Output

Component Video Output

RCA Video Output

S-Video Output

Karaoke

Two Microphone Jacks

Microphone Volume Control

Vocal Assist Function

Pitch Control

Echo Control

Special Features

SACD

DVD - Audio

Plays MP3

Plays DVD-SVCD-CD-CD/R-CD/RW

Firmware Upgradable

Evaluate 9 Frames at a Time

Zoom (2x, 4x)

Built-In Screen Saver

Programmable Playback Sequence

Frame by Frame Advance

Parental Lock

Multiple Language Subtitles (Captions)

Multiple Angle

Slow Motion

Fast Motion Forward & Backward

NTSC & Pal Video Outputs

Remote Control

The progessive scan feature has nothing to do with the type of disk you have, but rather how the disk's contents are displayed on your monitor or TV. Since you are asking this question, I am going to make the assumption that you do not have an HDTV. If I am correct in that assumption, then the progessive scan feature of this player will not work. Interlaced TVs (what the majority of households have) are not capable of processing a progressive signal. In simple terms, with 480 lines of resolution, an interlaced TV will show only 240 lines of resolution at any given moment. The scanned lines (even-odd) alternate every 1/30th or 1/60th (I can't remember) of a second. As you can imagine, this happens so fast that the human eye does not perceive the leap-frogging of the scanned lines. Progressive on the other hand show all 480 lines of resolution at any given moment thereby giving a greater resolution and quality to the picture being displayed.

SACDs are different. The SACD disk is much different than standard CDs and as a result require a player capable of utilizing this new format. Standard CD players will not work with SACDs (or at least not at the disk's full potential). The good thing is SACD capable players are backward comopatible and will play in most cases standard CDs.

The features mentioned seem to do everything except wash the dirty dishes. However, a more important issue here is what make and model of DVD player is this? I know you said that you didn't want to bias the discussion, but certain models have known weaknesses about them. It's those weaknesses that may make you reconsider your purchase. It sounds like a Pioneer 47A, but again, I don't know for sure.

OK, the DVD player is an Apex AD800. I was in Sams club, and it caught my eye. For only 89 dollars. Most of the time you get what you pay for in life. Once in a while you find a bargain. With DVD players in the "esoteric rhelm" costing thousands if not 10's of thousand of dollars in some cases...I wonder in the digital format if we can ever see or hear it in the game of deciphering 1's and 0's. Just a thought.

I have not purchased it yet.... But thinking about it as an add on DVD player. For 89 dollars, if it works and does what is sais it does..Might be a great find.

BTW, the 3 disc APEX 1531 was at the same price, just without the progressive scan.

indy, because the movie & equipment industries haven't got it together yet for a the digital transport standard, you have to use analog connections from player to use its dacs (digital to analog convertors) for sacd. so the quality of those can make a dif in sound. though lousy dacs w/ sacd may still sound better than good w/ a dvd video/cd player & standard formats.

i don't have any direct experience w/ dvd-audio or sacd because i'm still waiting for the new single digital connection standard. sounds like they're leaning toward a firewire connection.

but i haven't heard much good on forums about apex. pretty much you get what you pay for - but that's just what i've heard.

& like these guys said, unless you have an hdtv you can't use progressive scan.