LOOSE RCA INPUTS! :-(

JohnKuthe

On 3/29/2018 at 7:29 AM, Deang said:

The RCA plugs are held to the chassis on the inside by nuts. Unplug the amp, open it up, and use a wrench to tighten them. Don't let the jack rotate while you're tightening it, or you'll break the connection (the wire soldered to the jack). If your comfort level is low, have a tech do it.

Yep, this is what *I* did to it!! One RCA input is completely out and the other sketchy! :-( So I get to go back to Alpha Tech tomorrow Monday to pick up and pay for my Teac Tascam A2340 four track reel to reel. I had them refurbish and clean it!  Now I will have them fix my Flame Linear! And buy another high quality low loss low noise RCA cable! The one I'm running the McIntosh amp and the La Scalas works well! :-)

John Kuthe...

in the 1970s a popular audio magazine did a large blind listening test of amplifiers and the winner was the Phase 400. One of the main test speakers was Khorns. I had a few 400s and a 700b and never had any failure issues of any kind. I eventually  preferred the sound of tube amps. In that 70s era, I don't recall anyone referring to them as disposable PA amps. But I also didn't know anyone that seriously listened to PA gear. Like so many things, individual experience varies..... Often wildly!

On 3/27/2018 at 5:22 PM, JohnKuthe said:

To my Phase Linear 400 Power Amp!! :-( I WANNA SOLDER the damn INPUTS! :-(

Every time I wiggle the RCA cables going INTO the RCA inputs TO my Phase Linear 400 amp (NO volume control OR On/Off switch!) IT MESSES UP MY MUSIC!!

And can anyone also tell me WHY I can't use an RCA splitter cable to split my preamp's output to TWO DIFFERENT AMPS? Seems like plugging the RCA splitter's Y-ends into a second amp drastically ATTENUATES/POLLUTES the signal going into my Phase Linear amp which IS the amp I'm using to drive my La Scalas. :-( I was hoping to use a second amp for a couple of 15" subwoofer drivers or even the 15" full range I have presently.

Any ideas?

John Kuthe...

NAILED IT!!

Got two 10M (33ft) LOW LOSS double jacketed RCAs and BIAMPED (RCA splitter!) my La Scalas with my big gross two 15" SUBWOOFERS in a box not built for subwoofers! I have inline RCA LPFs and still have to attenuate  the Bass EQ down quite a bit for most songs. I really need to get my high performance SUB drivers in a box worthy of them and EQ properly controlled/shaped, maybe a parametric EQ thing? Two 15"ers on my Flame Linear 400 and my La Scalas on the McIntosh 2105! All four amp needles barely twitch for LOUD!

But THEY JAM! I can seriously hurt m'y drivers if I wanna! ;-)

I gotta get my digital camer working! Will do soon .

John Kuthe...