Forte' and Yamaha RX-777

bobd

I recently went thur a reciever search. My old speakers were Cambridge Soundworks Ensembles. I tried a Nakamichi 100watt R3 or, something like that, stereo reciver that sounded muffled on these speakers. Then I tried an Adcom that was 30 watts and I didn't like that either. Then I got my Forte's back from my sister(I traded them for a lawn mower and 300 bucks a year earlier)by trading the Soundworks speakers and some money. After I got the Forte's back I was so annoyed with the reciever shopping that I just went out and bought a Yamaha RX-777 reciever. At first I thought it was great(I had a Yamaha prior to this for 15 years) but now it seems that it may be a bit too harsh sounding. I'm thinking that the Nakamichi or Adcom would have been a better match. Does anyone else run their Forte's on a Yamaha? Is this combination generally thought to be a bit bright or harsh?

Thanks,

Bob Doherty

Bob - Chill man, it's only been an hour between your posts LOL :) We're all still having our morning coffee, reading the ads in the Sunday paper, seeing what else we can blow our kid's college fund on...

I have Forte's also - love 'em. I bet you missed them. Personally, I have used a Denon receiver (and an Acurus amp) with mine, and liked that combo a lot. There are MANY Yamaha fans on this board, also, and they like the Klipsch/Yamaha combo. However, I have heard some people comment that perhaps the Yamaha are a little more forward than they would like.

Perhaps repositioning your Forte's might take a bit of the edge off, like toeing them in or moving them away from walls which can cause early reflections of the highs. Or, change your receiver.

DD

My aunt found fortes for $50 at an estate sell and bought them, even thoug hwe had an agreement about that... me, me me! :)

anywho, she kept them (despite my offerings) and needed an amp. I fond a Marantz PM500 of my dad's inside one of his metal cases with 6 inch foam insulation. mint condition for sure. Anyway, she is using that to power her Fortes and it sounds awesome. Sounds like the definition of awesome :) "inspiring awe or admiration or wonder, Remarkable; outstanding"

bobd,

I power Forte-IIs using either tube or Tripath (enhanced digital pwm)amps. I have pretty much given up on standard push-pull transistor designs. Inexpensive transistor amps generally produce a lot of distortion at the low powers at which Klipsch speakers operate (I listen at about 1/8 Watt with 2 to 3 Watt peaks). The distortion makes the speakers sound thin and grainy or harsh. Try a tube or transistor class-A amp. I think yu will be pleasantly surprised. Look around this BB and you'll find a lot of people using low power tube amps.

Some people are very happy with certain transistor amps, but I haven't had much luck.

leok

Sorry about being so impatient. I post to a saxophone forum that gets responses within minutes. Also, I made a mistake in my original post. It wasn't an Adcom reciever it was an NAD. I kinda wish I had kept the NAD.

Leok,

What is a class A-amp?

bobd - Here's a pretty good explanation in layman's terms of amplifier classes, from another thread on the board:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=25896&sessionID={EF940411-52E3-46A8-8BD3-BAC82A2D8A97}

Heading down a slippery slope here, bob. Just a warning from someone who just slipped off the edge into tube amplification!!!

Doug

Yeah I only play CD's. Don't really listen to the radio much. What's a Margules ADE-24?

I also read on this forum that Classical music is not accurately reproduced by Forte's. Is that true. I haven't really listened to classical on them yet. I mainly listen to Jazz(coltrane and miles not the smooth stuff).

You can find the info here:

http://www.margules.com.mx/magenta.htm

There are reviews on Audioasylum and Usenet. Im will post a review soon, in case you were interested. 2.gif It has done marvelous things for my gear. Now it is more musical than ever.

About your Forte's, why do you have that impression? I say you have pretty musical speakers over there. The "problem" with some Horn speakers is that they are very revealing, thus having a good source and good amplification is a most. I can assure you that with the ADE24 you will make wonders to your sound.

You can contact them using this email, they have replied very fast everytime I asked something:

service@margules.com.mx