VACUUM TUBE POWER AMPLIFIER

jshep

First time I have seen it. Part quality is average but seems to be a some fun to be had for $299. These days, $299 does not buy you much, at least in the "new" market. Just looking at the unit, I would say it's worth that much but based on my guess, will not be anything near a giant killer. If this is all the money you can put in, I dont think you can lose much besides the fact that a resale will be tough due to the new company status and competitive marketplace. The sonics will probably beat most other $299 options. Appears to have twin chokes in the PS but not a ton of PS filtering; in fact, it looks pretty minimal here (not to mention the SS rectification). Who knows about the transformers, something that imparts a good portion of the sound of a tube amp...but, hey, it's $299. Of course, $299 and some soldering skill in the vintage arena will bring you MORE quality.... But.... it's more headache. The 6AU5 output is surely an interesting choice and one you dont see very often except in the DIY world. But the amp construction does look pretty clean and better than some others I have seen.

To be totally honest, the only way you will really know if this is worth $299 is to take the chance and listen yourself . I can make a bet no one here has heard one of these let alone an amp that utilizes the 6AU5 outputs. What the hell, I say GO FOR IT! Let us know what you think.

ps- One last note; it's 10wpc of PP tube at 28hz-35khz. Depending on what you listen to and the quality of iron, you better keep this in mind. Usually, however, circuit type taken into account, better iron leaves you better low frequency performance ie measured to 20hz +/-3dB ...but hey, it's $299!