Record Clamps

rowooo

I've been listening more and more to my MMF-5 table. It came with a record clamp and I have used it all the time. Today I was listening to some Steely Dan and I noticed that the record was drifting or warping a little more than i remembered. Does anyone know exactley how tight your supposed to tighten those clamps? They make sense and on most records work great i'm just wondering if the record is warped a tad would it be better to just go without. The record sounds fine though with the clamp. Thanks

rowoo,

If anything, the clamp should help flatten an LP with minor warp and create a better coupling of the LP with the platter. All bets would be off on a major warp. I use "finger tip tight", or stop when the clamp stops turning based only on the light pressure of the finger tips. Your clamp may require more or less pressure depending what is required to create the seal between LP and platter.

Klipsch out.

I agree with Jazman's take on it. But I would add not to LEAVE the record clamped on the table for a long period of time as in overnight. Also, make sure you have the little piece under the record to raise the lable section a bit (or at least have a table that makes provision for this as the clamp, if done too tight without pressure under the center, will cause the outside edges to lip up, defeating the benefit).

I would go easy on the clamp pressure, to be honest. Better to err too light then to overclamp.